Britain's Home Font in WWII
Access thousands of documents that allow insight into the social, economic, political and cultural affairs of Britain throughout the Second World War and its aftermath. Sourced from The National Archives and The History of Advertising Trust, and originally created by U.K. governmental departments, this entirely digitized collection will allow students and researchers to explore multiple topics and get a full picture of the impact of modern warfare on civilian life.
Explore a wide range of documents from social surveys to food offences trials, from Propaganda film scripts to wartime advertising. You'll also be able to access maps providing detailed information on each and every air raid that took place during WWII, as well as vocal testimonies from the very top of the government to those of ordinary citizens.
"This resource will allow students to delve into the material and draw their own conclusions, rather than relying on partial view or the interpretation of others. The sheer volume of material available here deserves recognition: this is not a partial nor selective view, but rather a comprehensive catalogue of various aspects of British Society during the Second World War."
David Clampin, Liverpool John Moores University.
- Home Affairs papers of Churchill's War Cabinet
- Intelligence reports from the Ministry of Information
- Records of the government evacuation scheme
- Foreign office policy papers on refugees and internment
- Recruitment and welfare records of the Women's Land Army
- Reports on the construction and living conditions of bomb shelters
- Surveys on the social impact of bombing and social reconstruction
- Collections of government propaganda
- Preparations for war and peace
- Rationing and supply
- Domestic life
- Military activity and home defence
- Information services and propaganda
- Bombing and attacks on the population
- Industry and infrastructure
Access to two interactive maps:
Voices Map: Search by Civil Defence Region for a selection of stories, voices and accounts of Home Front life.
Bombing Britain: an air raid map of 30,000+ pins, each representing a different location of an air raid attack that took place in the UK over the course of the Second World War.
FEATURES & TOOLS
- Full Text Searchable with enhanced indexing to allow filtering and advanced search
- Editorial Board essays and introductory videos
- Seminar packs and sample essay questions
- Image galleries
- Interactive maps
• Designed in collaboration with librarians, archivists, scholars, students, and lecturers to ensure that we meet the demands of our user communities.
• Access online training demonstrations for librarians and general users
• MARC 21 records
• Counter-compliant database reports available on request
• Display your institution's name and branding on the home page
• Compatibile with third-party e-learning environments such as Blackboard and Moodle
• Access via IP range, Athens, Proxy Server and Shibboleth