About the role
Taylor & Francis is looking to recruit a new Editor-in-Chief for International Journal of Optomechatronics (OPT) for 2020. OPT is a high-quality, open access publication that showcases peer reviewed results on multidisciplinary research and technical notes at the crossroads of optics, mechanics, fluidics, and electronics.
We are seeking a new Editor-in-chief who is an outstanding academic researcher or practitioner with a background in optics, physics, mechanical engineering or other areas of related engineering, and has the passion to drive the journal forward in an exciting period of change. It is a significant role, with high profile, but one that is achievable and extremely rewarding.
The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing all editorial aspects of the Journal by ensuring the highest standards of academic rigor, maintaining the submission and peer-review process via ScholarOne Manuscripts, and (with the assistance of Taylor & Francis’s Portfolio Manager) identifying strategies to enhance the quality and reputation of the Journal.
While Taylor & Francis is here to support the Journal, we look to the Editor-in-Chief to set the tone for the publication. Specifically, the Editor-in-Chief determines the Aims & Scope, appoints the Editorial Board, solicits manuscripts, maintains ethics and integrity, and creates the overall vision for the journal.
Taylor & Francis will provide remuneration for the role, along with resources and reporting to reflect on the performance of the Journal and inform future strategy and direction.
Interested in applying? Here are the skills and attributes we would be looking for in a successful applicant:
- Someone who is active in the community with strong personal networks
- Confidence to engage with authors and researchers to solicit the highest quality submissions
- Strong organizational skills to ensure that submissions are handled in a timely manner
- The ability to foster positive working relationships with colleagues such as Editorial Board members
- Someone who will act as spokesperson for OPT in public forums, meetings, and conferences
Submitting your Application
If you would like to apply for the position of Editor-in-Chief, please forward your CV, a cover letter, and a vision statement to Portfolio Manager, Bailey Young at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 2nd, 2020. Your vision statement should be no longer than two pages and should cover:
- Where you believe the field is going, and the Journal’s place within it
- How you would work in partnership with the editorial board
- How you would maintain and increase the quality of submissions
- How you would work with authors
- You are welcome to comment on the current Aims & Scope and Editorial Board, identifying any changes or improvements you would seek to make.
We will be looking to conduct interviews in the weeks following the March 2nd deadline, and the position will start in June 2020.
International Journal of Optomechatronics
International Journal of Optomechatronics publishes the latest results of multidisciplinary research at the crossroads between optics, mechanics, fluidics and electronics.