Research frontiers on the use of sensing technologies and ICT for soil and fertilizer managements
Soil Science and Plant Nutrition Special Issue Call for Papers
Deadline: 31 January 2020
The application of sensing technology and Information and Communication Technology (ICT) has been developed rapidly in the past decade. A new generation of sensors, tools and devices has been applied in many different commercial sectors. Agricultural sector also has been trying to utilize these technologies that could help to overcome various issues such as labor shortage, soil degradation, and mitigation of climate change. For example, the sensing technology has been used for better cultivation management in agriculture.
These new technologies made us possible to store massive data such as sensing imagery, geographical data and meteorology information etc. Making use of such big data sets support smart and efficient management of crop fields or agricultural facilities. Strategic and creative ways to apply ICT are the keys to agricultural innovation for a new generation.
This special section aims to present recent advancements of sensing technology and ICT that has been applied in crop production and farm management.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Proximal Soil Sensing
- Artificial intelligence (AI) and IoT tools to support agricultural skills
- Robotics and machine for smart agriculture
- Big data analytics for better farming practice
- Data visualization and simulation for field management
- Sustainable soil management, and conservation agriculture
- Agricultural products distribution and management
Interested authors are encouraged to send a pre-registration by the timeline listed as follows for evaluation and quick feedback.
Paper submission: 1/31/2020
Final decision: 5/30/2020
Publication: 8/15/2020 (estimated)
- Pre-Registration: Please fill the following information and send back to the guest editor in chief for the Special Issue at <firstname.lastname@example.org> before March 31, 2019. Note that this pre-registration is not indispensable to submit the manuscript to this special issue, but requested to estimate approximate numbers of papers in the issue:
- Manuscript preparation: please follow the instructions for authors at the journal web page,
- Manuscript submission: The manuscripts are recommended to submit before September 30, 2019, in order to meet the publication schedule, through online at the Soil Science and Plant Nutrition ScholarOne Manuscripts site. At the Submission Step 1 on the web site, please choose “Special submission for Sensing-ICT” as “Type” of the manuscript;
- Publication and peer-review process: All manuscripts are reviewed by the Editorial Board and qualified reviewers, in the same way as other submissions to the journal.
- Soil Science and Plant Nutrition is the official English language journal of the Japanese Society of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition (JSSSPN), and publishes original research findings and reviews on soil science, plant nutrition and related subjects. Please visit the journal web site for more information.
- Guest Editor-in-Chief: Mizuhiko Nishida, Tohoku University, Japan
- Guest Editor: Hiroshi Fujii, Yamagata University, Japan
- Guest Editor: Hideto Ueno, Ehime University, Japna
- Guest Editor: Katsuhisa Niwa, Zukosha Co., Ltd, Japan
- Guest Editor: Hiroyuki Sekiya, Central Region Agricultural Research Center, NARO, Japan