Call For Editor | Annals of Science
Application Deadline: 14 October 2019
Taylor & Francis is looking to recruit an Editor for Annals of Science. Co-editorship applications will also be considered.
About the Journal:
Annals of Science, launched in 1936, publishes work on the history of science, technology and medicine, covering developments from classical antiquity to the late 20th century. The Journal has a global reach, both in terms of the work that it publishes, and also in terms of its readership. The editors particularly welcome submissions from authors in Asia, Africa and South America.
Each issue contains research articles, and a comprehensive book reviews section, including essay reviews on a group of books on a broader level. Articles are published in both English and French, and the Journal welcomes proposals for special issues on relevant topics.
We are seeking an outstanding academic researcher(s) or practitioner(s) with an international reputation for research excellence, a passion for communication, and ideally prior experience of editing a scientific journal. She or he will have the opportunity to work with Taylor & Francis to help shape the future direction of Annals of Science by identifying strategies to enhance its quality and reputation.
Working collaboratively with the Editorial Board and the Publisher, the successful candidate(s) will continue Annals of Science’s long tradition of publishing works on the history of science, technology and medicine by undertaking the following responsibilities:
- Soliciting, receiving, and processing new contributions to the journal through the peer review process, ensuring that all reviewers and authors uphold the journal’s code of publishing ethics.
- Encouraging the submission of manuscripts from established researchers in the field and from promising early career researchers
- Providing input on all aspects of submissions from initial vetting of manuscripts to article selections for each issue
- Review and expand the pool of reviewers as necessary, in terms of size, topic speciality, and geographical representation
- Implementing improvements to the overall editorial structure of Annals of Science and interacting with board members for receipt of reviews, recommendations, decisions, etc.
- Chairing and directing editorial board meetings held annually
- Making periodic assessments of the editorial board and recommending changes when appropriate
- Acting as spokesperson for Annals of Science in public forums, meetings and conferences
- Developing and maintaining beneficial links with other journals and associated organizations
To assure that the integrity and reputation of the journal is maintained at all times, Editors are expected to adhere to the publishing ethics outlined in COPE Code of Conduct and Best Practice Guidelines for Journal Editors.
The successful candidate(s) are encouraged to begin with a transition period with the current Editorial team a few months before the official start of their term in January 2020. Taylor & Francis will provide remuneration for the role to cover journal-related expenses and any Scholar One Manuscripts™ training as appropriate.
Interested candidates are requested to email a CV and covering letter to the Portfolio Manager at Taylor & Francis (firstname.lastname@example.org) for consideration. All applications will be treated as strictly confidential, and each will be judged on its merits without regard to the race, religion, nationality, sex, seniority, or institutional affiliation of the candidate.
The closing date for applications for this position is 14 October 2019.