Add your Insight
13 March 2022
Tourism Innovation and Resilience During Uncertainty
In recent years, studies on innovation and resilience within tourism, often adopt the angle of crisis recovery or focus on value-creating innovative and creative strategies and practices. While those studies have begun to explore the underpinning principles of innovation and resilience, they often focus on a specific sector or region or viewed through the narrow lenses of economic recovery. Moreover, the theoretical and applied aspects of innovation and resilience need to be approached from a multidisciplinary point of view, to enable a better understanding of the internal and external dynamics that affect the evolution, planning and development of tourism at times of uncertainty.
The pathway to success (or failure) lies on the overall innovative stance adopted by tourism stakeholders (Iglesias-Sánchez, et al. 2019; Sørensen & Balsby, 2020; Bressan & Pedrini, 2020) and the resilience demonstrated by destinations (Jarratt & Davies, 2020), companies (Mandal & Saravanan, 2019) and communities (Powell, et al. 2018; Kato, 2018) alike to externalities that yield not only challenges and threats; but also bear opportunities for fundamentally rethinking our practices of planning and developing tourism. Therefore, an SI revisiting innovation and resilience during uncertainty will be highly relevant to both, industry and academia.
This special issue welcomes theoretical, empirical, experimental, and case study research contributions. These contributions should clearly address the theoretical and practical implications of the research in reference. Both conceptual and empirical work are welcome. Tourism innovation and resilience can be viewed under a variety of prisms, including but not limited to:
- Innovation, creativity and change management
- Resilience management
- Complexity management
- Competitiveness, sustainability and corporate social responsibility
- Consumer behaviour, decision-making, expectations, experience and satisfaction
- Adaptive capacities
- Crisis management
- Urban resilience
- Multi-disciplinary resilience
- Cultural, heritage and tourism planning and development
- Destination resilience, planning and development
- Economics of change impacts and adaptation
- Emerging and innovative research methods and methodologies
- Human resources, equality, diversity, and labour operations
- The role of technology in tourism innovation and resilience
- Marketing, advertising, branding and promotional activities
- Policy, planning, and development
- Training and education
- Wellbeing of tourism employees, local communities and tourists
- Other interdisciplinary areas related to tourism planning and development
Looking to Publish your Research?
We aim to make publishing with Taylor & Francis a rewarding experience for all our authors. Please visit our Author Services website for more information and guidance, and do contact us if there is anything we can help with!
Please submit the papers to the journal’s online platform at the Special Issue Theme: Tourism Innovation and Resilience during Uncertainty. The submission link is: https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/rthp
View the latest tweets from tandfsport