Submit a Manuscript to the Journal
The Service Industries Journal
For a Special Issue on
Metaverse in Service Industries
01 September 2023
Metaverse in Service Industries
With the increasing availability of immersive technologies (e.g. virtual and augmented reality (VR and AR)) in organizations and among consumers, the border between physical and virtual worlds continues to blur (Cho et al., 2023). This development has introduced a new term for capturing various digital concepts in this space - the ‘metaverse’. The metaverse is defined as “an augmented digital world that is blending physical and virtual spaces through the use of Extended Reality (XR) and artificial intelligence-based systems for users to interact, and/or trade virtual goods or services through cryptocurrencies (e.g., NFTs), with one another and other/virtual entities.” (Cho et al., 2023, p. 18). Various studies relating to aspects of the metaverse demonstrate its ever-increasing potential as well as potential risks in a multitude of contexts (Han et al., 2022). To date, studies have investigated aspects of the metaverse in areas beyond gaming, including education (Cho et al., 2023), retail (Alzayat & Lee, 2021), and marketing (Sung, et al., 2022; tom Dieck & Han, 2022). However, while some individual studies within the general services industry context investigate the effectiveness of digital interventions, consumer experiences and human computer interactions (Jung et al., 2020), the development of knowledge in this area is still in its infancy. Our limited understanding of the opportunities and new challenges that the metaverse will generate in the service context calls for more structured development of knowledge in this field.
This Special Issue offers a structured approach to scientifically explore and discuss opportunities, challenges and underlying mechanisms of metaverse applications in the service context through better understanding and identifying key conditions and areas of attention. Conceptual and research papers, critical reviews, and both qualitative and quantitative studies discussing and researching topics related to Metaverse in the service industries are invited to be submitted. We encourage submissions focused on Metaverse in various different service sectors (tourism, hospitality, health, education, banking, education, legal, gaming, entertainment, retail etc.) and interdisciplinary approaches are particularly welcome. Potential research questions of interest for the special include, but are not limited to:
- What are key drivers and barriers to the advancement of Metaverse in service industries
- What are key aspects of new Metaverse business models in service industries
- What are the main legal and ethical, privacy and security challenges to service firms to develop a Metaverse platform
- How can service firms address digital identity, trust and payment issues to move forward to Metaverse Economy
- How will applications of the Metaverse implicate consumer psychology and behaviour in digital and related physical service settings
- What are key aspects of the dark side of Metaverse service applications
- Which emerging and innovative research methods for services research are applicable in the realm of the Metaverse
- How can service value in the Metaverse be measured and enhanced
- What are new forms of services and service organizations in the Metaverse
- What are the societal consequences as a result of Metaverse development
Submissions should be accompanied by a cover letter that clearly states that the manuscript constitutes original work that has not previously been published, accepted for publication, or presently under consideration elsewhere. Prior to submission it is expected that the Service Industries Journal author guidelines have been followed in full (http://www.tandfonline.com/action/authorSubmission?journalCode=fsij20&page=instructions). Initial submissions will be reviewed by the guest editors and if judged suitable then placed for double-blind review. Articles should be no more than 9,500 words in length.
Papers should be submitted online at http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/fsij between May 1, 2023 and September 1, 2023. Please select the tab for the special issue on “Metaverse in Service Industries” when you are submitting your paper to Scholar One. Expected publication date of the Special Issue is in 2024. Any questions about the special issue can be directed to the guest editors.
View the latest tweets from Routledge_Econ