Add your Insight
01 May 2021
Nordic women and the transnational networks during the Cold War (1945–1990): collaboration, conflicts, achievements and memory
The Cold War years were not only a period of the political confrontation between the East and West, but it was also a time when work for women’s rights and gender equality underwent further transnationalisation. While transnational women’s organizations and their contribution to the establishment of gender equality norms have been studied before, the participation of the Nordic women in the international organizations and networks has not generated much interest among scholars.
We invite contributions on Nordic women’s collaboration with transnational organizations and on cooperation of Nordic women’s organizations with women’s organizations in countries involved in anti-colonial struggle, for self-determination and against racism. In particular, we seek submissions that address the influence of the Cold War divisions and conflicts on women’s activism.
The contributions may include but are not limited to the following themes:
- Women in the Nordic countries and their international work during the first years following WWII
- Nordic women and the United Nations (UN) or organizations connected to the UN
- Nordic women and developmental cooperation
- Ideas, networks, and cooperation between women and organizations in the Nordic countries and anti-colonial movements and grassroots women’s organizations in African, Asian, and American continents
- Transnational activism in Northern Europe during the International Women’s Year (1975) and the UN Decade for Women (1975–1985)
- Nordic women and women of the “Eastern bloc” – encounters, travels, conflicts, cooperation
- Peace movement and Nordic women
- Solidarity work and Nordic women’s organizations
- Biographic research on activists of the Nordic transnationalism
- Theoretical and methodological challenges of studying transnational women’s activism of the Cold War period (with focus on the Nordic activism)
Looking to Publish your Research?
We aim to make publishing with Taylor & Francis a rewarding experience for all our authors. Please visit our Author Services website for more information and guidance, and do contact us if there is anything we can help with!
View the latest tweets from Routledge_socio