Submit a Manuscript to the Journal
Australian Feminist Studies
For a Special Issue on
01 September 2021
28 February 2022
Expressions of interest are sought for contributions to a planned 2022 special issue of Australian Feminist Studies (Routledge/Taylor & Francis) devoted to the topic of ‘The Home’.
We anticipate publishing wide-ranging sets of ideas that capture the current and emerging challenges and opportunities for feminist thinkers examining aspects of the home and housing more generally.
Guest contributing editors: Lilian Chee (NUS), Sophia Maalsen (USyd), Jane Simon (Macquarie) and Cathy Smith (UNSW).
We welcome contributions from scholars in any discipline, including architecture, built environment, design, sociology, social policy, geography, politics, anthropology, cultural studies, film, and literature.
Potential areas for consideration include but are not limited to:
- The shifting meanings and status of ‘home' in the age of a global pandemic
- What urgent social and political challenges should be priorities for feminist researchers thinking about housing and the home?
- What does a feminist housing policy look like?
- How can new feminist engagements with housing and the home incorporate multiple perspectives and draw from diverse traditions of knowledge?
- Home, feminist thinking and the global South
- Aspects of the cultural, social, policy, design or spatial dimensions of housing with a focus on gender
- Feminist debates on women, aging and homelessness, including new and alternative models for housing and public housing
- Working from home in COVID and post-COVID times: critical views, historical trajectories and speculative futures
- New feminist analyses of domestic labour, including the gendered burden of domestic administration
- New thinking on domestic architecture and domestic space
- At home with family: changing stakeholders and the transformation of the shared household
- The home as an asset and the gendered dimensions of housing and finance
- Feminist thinking around sustainable housing supply in a zero-carbon economy: accessible & designed with the needs of women in mind?
- New feminist engagements around sexualities, space and intimate domestic cultures
- New feminist engagements around the emotional and affective dimensions of housing, homes and domestic space
- Activism in/from the home
- Feminist approaches to digital domesticity
- The ‘new domesticity’ movement
- New feminist engagements with the home and domestic interiors in film and literature
Contributions can be between 6,000 words and 8,000 words for research articles. Shorter polemical pieces up to 5,000 words can be considered for the ‘Feminist Debates’ section. Co-authored and multiple-voiced pieces are welcome.
While the expectation is that contributions will be scholarly in orientation, less conventional provocations and manifestos may also be proposed.
Your expression of interest (300 wds max) should indicate what questions or ideas you wish to address, the proposed length of your submission, and your key words. Dot points can be used. Please include contact details and a 2 line bio note. EOIs should be emailed as word documents.
Inquiries and EOIs should be emailed to: [email protected]
All submissions will be peer-reviewed as per the journal’s policies.
View the latest tweets from AFSJournal