Submit a Manuscript to the Journal
Maritime Policy & Management
For a Special Issue on
Digital Innovation in Ports
31 March 2022
Special Issue Editor(s)
Dalian Maritime University
Imperial College London
Loo Hay Lee,
National University of Singapore
Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Kun Soo Park,
Seoul National University
Digital Innovation in Ports
With the development of digital technologies, such as artificial intelligence, Internet of Things, and big data, smart ports and automated terminals have entered a rapid development era. Digital technology is increasingly important in improving the operation efficiency of ports, and its pervasive effects have resulted in the radical restructuring of ports operation model. Consequently, the extensive interest of digital innovation in ports is not surprising. Recent research has illustrated that digital technologies provide a vast potential for product and service innovation in ports which is still difficult to control and predict. Therefore, it is necessary to conduct in-depth researches for supporting and managing the new types of digital innovations processes in ports.
Although previous studies have elaborated on the technological innovation of ports from different perspectives, the existing research literatures on the digital innovation of ports are very limited and fragmented. Compared with the general technological innovation of ports, the digital innovation of ports needs to consider the application of emerging digital technology to improve the operation efficiency of ports. Moreover, it is also necessary to apply emerging digital technologies to promote the intelligent transformation and upgrading of ports operation management model.
The purpose of this special issue is to produce the latest research results on the digital innovation of ports, and to promote further research and discussion on linking the theoretical research and practical application of digital technologies in ports.
- Digital innovation mechanism of ports: key factors of digital innovation in ports; digital innovation paths in ports; knowledge body of digital innovation in ports; and innovation process and management.
- Performance index of digital innovation in ports: assessment of digital innovation in ports; assessment index system.
- Comprehensive application of digital technologies in ports: artificial intelligence (AI); Internet of Things (IoT); and digital twin (DT); etc.
- Smart port and automated container terminal: digital transformation and upgrading of ports and container terminal; digital operating standards of smart port and automated container terminal;
- Case studies: successful case studies of digital innovative in ports.
View the latest tweets from Routledge_Econ