Make an Impact in Your Field
15 September 2020
Bridge Conceptual and Aesthetic Design
Bridge conceptual and aesthetic design is a very important and difficult issue in bridge engineering. Aesthetic considerations not only significantly affect design and construction costs, but they also critically impact those who perceive and use a bridge. However, unlike structural bridge analyses which can be performed using well established procedures and formulae, there are currently no simple universally accepted conceptual and aesthetic design methods and criteria. Though significant effort has been focused on bridge aesthetics, only some general guidelines for bridge conceptual and aesthetic design of short and middle span bridges have been developed. It would be especially useful to have some methods, procedures and criteria of bridge conceptual and aesthetic design which are also easy for bridge engineers to employ. A special issue of the Journal of IABSE SEI is planned to promote and improve the bridge conceptual and aesthetic design philosophy, methods and criteria. Manuscripts are encouraged that describe new and innovative ideas, methods, procedures, criteria, and art that may have an impact on improving design practices and inspiration for contemporary design.
Some suggested topics include, but are not limited to:
- Innovative bridge conceptual and aesthetic design techniques
- Bridge basic mechanical behaviors and conceptual design
- New forms and art of modeling
- Recent bridge projects and unique aesthetic design features
- Architecture in bridge design
- Conceptual and aesthetic design for arch bridges
- Conceptual and aesthetic design for concrete segmental bridges
- Conceptual and aesthetic design for cable-stayed bridges
- Conceptual and aesthetic design for pedestrian bridges
- Conceptual and aesthetic design for rehabilitation of existing and historic bridges
- Conceptual and aesthetic design for bridges in cities
- Design procurement
- Value engineering
- Case study
Looking to Publish your Research?
We aim to make publishing with Taylor & Francis a rewarding experience for all our authors. Please visit our Author Services website for more information and guidance, and do contact us if there is anything we can help with!
View the latest tweets from tandfstem