Uncover the history of South Asia as you've never seen it before
Discover this fascinating collection of 4.5 million pages of material gathered from across the Indian sub-continent. These documents were originally collected by the South Asian Research Foundation (SARF) with the objective of preserving Indian cultural heritage and span from 1700-1953. Explore digitized versions of books, journals and reports covering key historical events, such as the Calcutta riots of 1946 and The Indian Independence Movement.
This Archive covers a wide range of subject areas, including Art History, Anthropology, History, Education and Literature, and will give students and researchers access to an invaluable learning resource.
- Journals and Serial Publications which include 'Calcutta Law Journal', 'Indian Annual Register', and 'The Eastern Economist'
- Over 1500 rare books including the series' 'The Bibliotheca Indica' and 'Upanishads'
- Thousands of reports and proceedings from colonial and post colonial India including the Indian Census documents and those covering the Calcutta Riots of 1946
- A collection of acts and legislations of the colonial period from across a range of Indian Government Departments
THEMES & EVENTS
- The Act of Indian Independence and the wider partition of the country
- Crime, Riot, and Resistance
- Print & Production of culture: Access to early examples of prestigious Bengali journals and contemporary novels
- Religion: digitized versions of Hindu and Islamic journals.
- Colonial Knowledge and Governance: financial and industrial performance reports from the ministry of Industry and Supply.
- The Education & Status of Women in India
- Online training demonstrations for librarians and end users
- MARC 21 records
- Counter-compliant database reports available on request
- Tools available to allow monitoring of site usage
- Internal marketing materials and support, including posters, promotional cards and email templates
- Compatible with third-party e-learning environments such as Blackboard and Moodle
- Portal can be adjusted to show your institutions branding