Call for Co-Editor
Application Deadline: 31st December 2019
Journal of the International Visual Sociology Association Seeks to expand its Editor Team
About the Journal
Visual Studies is a major international peer-reviewed journal published on behalf of the International Visual Sociology Association. The journal publishes visually-oriented articles across a range of disciplines, and represents a long-standing commitment to empirical visual research, studies of visual and material culture, the development of visual research methods and the exploration of visual means of communication about social and cultural worlds. Visual Studies is a key resource for all disciplines that engage with images, society and culture, and sets the standard for the scholarly use of visual material.
The multidisciplinary character of the journal is reflected in its attention to visually-based research in sociology, anthropology, cultural and media studies, documentary film and photography, information technology, education, communication studies as well as other fields concerned with image-based study.
The aims of Visual Studies are to:
- Provide an international forum for the development of visual research.
- Promote acceptance and understanding of a wide range of methods, approaches and paradigms that constitute image-based research.
- Reduce the disparity in emphasis between visual and written studies in the social sciences.
- Promote an interest in developing visual research methodology in all its various forms.
- Encourage research that employs a mixture of visual methods and analytical approaches within one study.
- Critically reflect and contribute to the dialogue surrounding ‘the visual’ across the social sciences and humanities.
- Provide an arena for in-depth exploration of various approaches, particular methods, themes and visual phenomena.
- Most articles published in the journal are accompanied by appropriate visual material, and the journal encourages visually-led submissions.
Visual Studies Editor Team
IVSA is seeking expressions of interest for a Co-Editor to join the current Editor Team. We are aiming to have the new role filled by the end of 2019.
Working with the current Editor and wider Editor Team, the Co-Editor is responsible for ensuring that high-quality research, that supports the journal’s Aims & Scope, is published in Visual Studies. Key elements of the role include:
- Soliciting and receiving submissions to the journal
- Maintaining rigorous peer review using ScholarOne Manuscripts
- Commissioning special/themed issues and appointing Guest Editors as appropriate
- Establishing responsive relationships with reviewers for the journal
- Appointing Editorial Advisory Board Members in consultation with IVSA
- Promoting the journal at conferences, events and to relevant networks
The Editors of Visual Studies are supported by two Reviews Editors, and a Film and Multimedia Editor. A modest Editorial Honorarium will be provided by IVSA, in order to cover any expenses incurred during the work of editing the journal.
Expressions of interest
Interested individuals are invited to submit their CV and a brief Vision Statement (1-2 pages only), outlining their thoughts in relation to the editorship of the journal. The Vision Statement may cover the following in relation to the journal’s standing:
- Current strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats
- Key developments in the subject area, conferences and events
- Opportunities for soliciting articles, special/themed issues
- Considerations that will enhance the quality and reputation
- Competitor analysis of key journals in the subject area
Interested individuals are also asked to outline any relevant editorial experience and how they would apply this experience to this role. Editorial experience may include the following:
- Editor, Co-Editor, Associate Editor, Assistant Editor
- Editorial Board/Editorial Advisory Board Member
- Guest Editor
- Experience with peer review systems, such as ScholarOne Manuscripts or Editorial Manager
- Experience of working as part of an editorial team
Any queries about the Co-Editor role and expressions of interest should be sent to: [email protected]
The deadline for expressions of interest is: 2nd December 2019