About the Role
A number of exciting opportunities have arisen for editorial positions at the International Journal for Academic Development (IJAD). We are looking for a co-editor to replace the position currently held by Dr Kathryn Sutherland (New Zealand/HERDSA). At the same time, we are looking for 1-2 new associate editors to join the editorial team.
IJAD is the premier international journal for academic development (also called educational development and faculty development); Google has ranked IJAD among (or near) the 20 most influential higher education journals globally since 2016. IJAD is sponsored by the International Consortium for Educational Development (ICED) and four issues are published annually through Routledge/Taylor & Francis (http://www.tandfonline.com/ijad). The manuscript submission and review process is managed through the ScholarOne online system.
The co-editor and associate editor appointments will be for 4 years (1 January 2020 until 31 December 2024) and the appointees will work collaboratively with the three ongoing co-editors—Dr Klara Bolander Laksov (Sweden), Dr Peter Felten (USA), and Dr Johan Geertsema (Singapore)—and the five associate editors.
As a diverse team is critical to the success of the journal, we would be especially interested in applications from colleagues who are professionally active beyond regions currently represented (Asia, Europe, and North America). Nevertheless, as we recognize that diversity goes beyond regional representation, we encourage applications from anywhere in the world.
The roles of co-editor and associate editor provide the opportunity to influence the academic development research agenda and to expand linkages between one’s own region and the international academic development community. The four co-editors constitute the core team and provide leadership to the journal and to associate editors, but in all other respects the work of co-editor and associate editor positions is equivalent. Co-editors typically have more editorial and scholarly experience than associate editors at the time of appointment. The positions are voluntary, involve working to tight deadlines, and require participating in monthly online meetings. Typically, at least one co-editor attends the ICED Council meeting each year.
Applications from individuals who would like to join the team are welcome. The editorial team will come to a decision based on the criteria outlined below.
Brief written expressions of interest should be emailed to Dr Allan Goody, President of the International Consortium for Educational Development (firstname.lastname@example.org), no later than 15 September 2019 and should:
- specify whether you are applying to be co-editor or associate editor,
- outline your reasons for wanting to undertake the role,
- address the selection criteria below,
- provide the names of two members of the international academic development community who are willing to be contacted as referees, and
- include your current Curriculum Vitae.
The following criteria are essential:
- Active scholar in academic/educational/faculty development, with a record of publications in this area.
- Passionate about academic development in higher education and committed to encouraging high-quality academic research and publications in the field.
- Will enhance the diversity of the editorial team.
- Experienced in editing and publishing, and aware of issues associated with editing an international
- Excellent organisational and communication skills and demonstrated ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others (for example, joint publications, grants, member of a national network, etc.).
- Willing to participate in regular editorial meetings through online video conferencing (often scheduled outside working hours in order to accommodate the schedules of co-editors from four different continents).
- Committed to the goals of the journal’s parent organisation, the International Consortium for Educational Development (ICED): http://icedonline.net/
- At the time of appointment, membership in one of the member networks of ICED.
In addition, the following criteria are desirable:
- Familiarity with online manuscript management systems.
- Familiarity with APA referencing, copy-editing, or access to administrative support for copy-editing.
- Ability to start by 1 January 2020.