Call For Editor-in-Chief
Application Deadline: 30 November 2019
Taylor & Francis are looking to recruit an Editor-in-Chief for Global Bioethics. Co-editorship applications will also be considered.
About the Journal:
Global Bioethics provides a broad open access international forum for research on the ethical aspects of global health research, practice, and policy. It brings together scholarship from around the world covering a variety of socio-economic and cultural contexts and ethical positions in order to reflect and promote new critically-engaged ways of thinking about contemporary topics in global bioethics.
We are seeking an outstanding academic researcher(s) or practitioner(s) with an international reputation for research excellence, a passion for communication, and ideally prior experience of editing a scientific journal. They will have the opportunity to work with Taylor & Francis to help shape the future direction of Global Bioethics, by identifying strategies to enhance its quality and reputation.
Working collaboratively with the Editorial Board and the Publisher, the successful candidate(s) will undertake the following responsibilities:
- Overseeing the content and quality of Global Bioethics
- Soliciting, receiving, and processing new contributions to the journal through the peer review process, ensuring that all reviewers and authors uphold the journal’s code of publishing ethics.
- Encouraging the submission of manuscripts from both established researchers in the field and promising early career researchers
- Providing input on all aspects of submissions from initial vetting of manuscripts to article selections for each issue
- Review and expand the pool of reviewers as necessary, in terms of size, topic speciality, and geographical representation
- Implementing improvements to the overall editorial structure of Global Bioethics and interacting with board members for receipt of reviews, recommendations, decisions, etc.
- Chairing and directing editorial board meetings held annually
- Making periodic assessments of the editorial board and recommending changes when appropriate
- Acting as spokesperson for Global Bioethics in public forums, meetings and conferences
- Developing and maintaining beneficial links with other journals and associated organizations
- To assure that the integrity and reputation of the journal is maintained at all times, Editors are expected to adhere to the publishing ethics outlined in COPE Code of Conduct and Best Practice Guidelines for Journal Editors.
The successful candidate(s) will be responsible for editorial oversight and decision-making. They will have the authority to accept articles following successful peer review, and will ensure that reviewers and authors adhere to the journal's Code of Publishing Ethics. There will be an agreed handover period with the out-going Editor-in-Chief(s) to ensure seamless transition, and we will provide the incoming Editor with peer review administration support.
Taylor & Francis will provide remuneration for the role to cover any journal-related expenses, full peer review administration training, and administrative support. Taylor & Francis will organise regular board meetings and will supply annual reports reflecting on the performance of the journal.
Interested in applying? Here’s what we’re looking for in the successful applicant(s):
- Active in the community, with strong networks
- Confidence, and the ability to engage with authors and researchers to solicit the highest quality submissions
- Strong organizational skills to ensure that submissions are handled in a timely manner
- Ability to foster positive working relationships with colleagues
- A published author and prior experience as a reviewer
- Previous editorial experience, which could include membership of a journal editorial board or acting as a special issue guest editor
- Experience of using online submission systems
- The successful candidate(s) must be able to assess the scientific merit of research papers, provide editorial direction, and stay abreast of and discuss scientific developments at a high level with academics and practitioners during travel to conferences.
This position may be available as a co-editorship - please note your interest in this in your application.
Interested candidates are requested to email a CV and covering letter to the Portfolio Manager at Taylor & Francis, India.Cole@tandf.co.uk, by 30 November 2019.