December 22nd, 2020 or until Editor is named.
Three years, renewable by mutual consent for further terms, starting in 2021. Usually, two three-year terms allow sufficient time to implement and see through the incoming Editor’s vision and plan for the journal.
The Editor elect and his/her office should be operational by January 31st, 2021 in order to begin reviewing new manuscripts.
Aims & Scope
Culture and Education publishes original research coming from all educational and developmental contexts, at all stages of learning throughout the life span, with a focus on the changing, culturally embedded nature of education and development. The journal particularly welcomes articles that address, with methodological rigor, the relationship between the sociocultural ecosystems of activity, in which development and learning take place, and the psychological mediations and educational processes involved.
Culture and Education is primarily aimed at researchers and professionals working in all fields that scientifically approach human cultural development and education: psychology, education, anthropology, social work, media psychology/education, art, technology, cultural creation, community intervention...
All papers are published bilingually in both English and Spanish.
Culture and Education is published by Fundación Infancia y Aprendizaje (FIA) in association with Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
Applicants should send a letter of application to [email protected], including their vision for the future of the journal and a succinct description of their qualifications for the editorship (see requirements above). Applicants should also include copies of their CV, and documentation indicating prospective institutional support if available.
All applications will be treated as strictly confidential and will be judged on its merits without regard to the race, religion, nationality, sex, seniority, or institutional affiliation of the candidate.
For further information, please contact:
Miguel del Río
Director of Publications
Fundación Infancia y Aprendizaje
Main Editorial Goals for this Term
- Addressing cultural change
Today more than ever, we live in a rapidly-changing world, in which new contexts of activity, both physical and virtual, are mixing with traditional settings, even replacing them to some extent. This restructuring of the educational and cultural contexts calls for a parallel restructuring of educational and cultural research.
Thus, we wish to reinvigorate the aims set almost 25 years ago, transcending education as a solely formal, school-based process, and delving into its cultural, ecological, social, and emotional roots, going beyond school settings to encompass all contexts of activity, education and development.
Education happens everywhere, at all times, not only in schools and in school-age children. Education is the cultural construction of individuals, communities, and societies throughout their lives, in permanent social relationships established in cultural and natural ecosystems richly populated by both natural elements and cultural-psychological mediations.
- Strengthening international projection
As part of our long-term strategy towards reaching a globalized audience (see Journal History below), we seek to establish Culture and Education as an internationally relevant, go-to source in the cultural study of human education and development.
- Increasing the journal’s Impact Factor
Qualifications and requirements of candidates
The main qualities needed are:
- An established record of scholarship in the fields of social sciences that study human cultural development and education: psychology, anthropology, social work, media psychology/education, art, technology, cultural creation, community intervention…
- Management skills to supervise the full editorial cycle from manuscript submission through publication and to meet deadlines; and the ability to recruit for the Editorial Board renowned experts with a similar skill set.
- We will highly value candidates that intend to adopt an active, ambitious and purposeful editorial role, with creative, solid ideas for the journal’s present and future.
The role also implies the following responsibilities:
- Providing with a clear vision for the direction of the journal during his/her tenure as Editor/Co-Editor, as well as advancing the means intended to attain it.
- Assembling a team of Associate Editors, sufficient in number to guarantee expertise of all subdisciplines covered by the journal, as well as to carry out all manuscripts’ peer-review in both English and Spanish.
- Selecting an ample pool of competent, timely reviewers, highly literate in English and/or Spanish. The journal will also provide with its current reviewer database.
- Identifying and appointing members of international renown and prestige to the Editorial Board.
- Processing 150-200 manuscripts per year (of which generally about 25% are sent for review, the remaining 75% being initially dismissed) via Editorial Manager, an online manuscript submission and peer-review management system.
- Having full, clear institutional support for the duration of the tenure, including additional release time, office space, utilities, use of computers and other equipment, economic support for a full time Managing Editor*, student workers and/or other basic expenses.
*As a Taylor & Francis / Routledge publication, Culture and Education will be able to provide partial financial support in the form of a modest annual stipend.
Culture and Education is a bilingual journal – all articles are translated upon acceptance and published in English and Spanish. To date, manuscripts are accepted in either language.
However, bilingualism is not required for the position. Whether the Editor intends to use English as the only language of submission, or wishes to maintain the possibility to submit also in Spanish by relying on a Co-Editor and/or a sufficient number of Associate Editors for managing manuscripts submitted in Spanish, is an open decision to be made by the incoming Editor; FIA may provide with suggestions and assistance to this respect.
In any case, the appointed Editor should have access to a network of scholars who may become Associate Editors, members of the Board, and/or reviewers, sufficient to review manuscripts submitted in the language/s established for submission.
Founded in 1989 as Comunicación, Lenguaje & Educación (Communication, Language and Education), the journal intended to showcase current research on education, particularly in regards to the use of language and other communication systems (with an emphasis on information technologies, in formal and informal settings), as well as to provide tools for formal and informal educators.
In 1996, it adopted the title Cultura y Educación. As mentioned in the introductory Editorial of the first issue under the new title (https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1174/113564096321273566), the aim was to re-gain the journal’s emphasis on education “as pertaining to the global sphere of culture, and not of just one isolated institution. When seeking to understand the process of becoming a person, family, school, community, media, and any other institution, make up a systemic, irreducible whole”. Thus, the journal wished to “showcase research carried out in all the settings in which education is possible, and not just the school […].” The journal also sought to explain the role of mediations and psychological tools, both social and instrumental; for example, how mathematics is learned inside and outside of the classroom with the social, emotional support of parents, grandparents, peers, communities, and teachers.
With the advent of globalization, the journal’s community (Editorial Team, readers, reviewers, and authors) grew and expanded, including more and more diverse and international researchers. In 2014, FIA and Taylor & Francis started a publishing partnership, taking another leap towards reaching a globalized audience: publishing all articles in both English and Spanish. This allows authors to reach two distinct linguistic audiences by submitting their manuscripts to a single journal.
In 2020 the journal adopted its current English title, Culture and Education.
Along with bilingualism, FIA’s deep and lasting commitment to scientific quality, savoir-faire, and rigor, paired with Taylor & Francis’ state-of-the-art publishing services and worldwide reach, have helped bring the journal to the wider international community. Today, it can be read in over two thousand institutions all across the world.
You may view and download this document at: http://www.fia.es/journals/cultureandeducation/news/callforeditor2020