Call for French Book Review Editor
Canadian Journal of African Studies
About the Role
Applications are invited for the post of French Book Review Editor for Canadian Journal of African Studies. The role is for a three-year appointment, renewable.
The French Book Review Editor will initially serve for three years, renewable by mutual consent for further terms at the discretion of the CJAS Board. The Book Review Editor will be supplied with a copy of the journal’s guidelines for book reviews and access to a reviewer database. This is a volunteer position, but a modest annual allowance is made to the CJAS editorial team to cover any expenses. The greatest reward of this position is the chance to survey new French language books published on Africa.
The French Book Review Editor will:
- Identify new titles to be reviewed in the journal and contact publishers to obtain copies;
- Receive copies of books sent by publishers to the journal for review;
- Maintain a database of book reviewers and expand this as necessary, in terms of size, subject specialisms, and geographical representation, especially in African countries;
- Work with the Book Review Editor, Coordinating Editor, and Production Editor to process book reviews for the journal in a timely fashion;
- Ensure that all reviewers uphold the journal’s code of publishing ethics;
- Send PDFs of/links to the published book reviews to the publishers concerned;
- Send an updated list of books available for review to CAAS for communicating via the CAAS mailing list, website, and social media platforms.
Applicants should have recognised expertise and an established record of published scholarship in African Studies, and they should be actively involved with scholarly networks within the field. Although much of the work will be conducted in French, working knowledge of English is an asset. Key qualities sought for the position of Book Review Editor include energy, enthusiasm, organisational skills, and the ability to meet deadlines and work effectively within a team and with a major commercial publisher.
Applicants should have clear employer or institutional support for this activity for the duration of the three-year appointment, including release time as necessary.
Submitting your Application
Interested candidates are requested to email a letter of interest and a full C.V., including a list of published books and/or papers, to Dr. Jonathan Roberts, current Book Review Editor of the journal, at [email protected].
The Canadian Journal of African Studies (CJAS)/ Revue canadienne des études africaines (RCEA) is the official publication of the Canadian Association of African Studies (CAAS). Launched in 1967, it is a bilingual multidisciplinary journal committed to facilitating the dissemination of research on Africa by scholars working in Canada, Africa and elsewhere. CJAS publishes papers across a range of subject areas including anthropology, political science, history, sociology, literature, geography, and development. The book review and review essay section provides critiques of recent books and reports on Africa in general and on individual countries. For more information on the journal, please visit www.tandfonline.com/rcas