Join the conversation.
About the Journal
Javnost—The Public, Journal of the European Institute for Communication and Culture was established in 1994 as a platform for social scientists all over the world to address, promote, share, and discuss problems, issues and developments of publicness on international and interdisciplinary levels, to stimulate the development of theory and research in the field, and to help understand and bridge the differences between cultures.
Javnost—The Public publishes original research papers on all aspects of publicness with strong theoretical foundations. The research presented must transcend the limits of single case studies. Nevertheless, both empirical and theoretical studies are accepted if they offer insights into issues related to the public sphere theories and debates, such as:
- the role of (media) communication in fostering human freedom and social change;
- public service broadcasting;
- media democratization in East-Central Europe, South-East Asia and China;
- digitization of broadcasting; new developments in journalism;
- the importance of communication for class relationships;
- public opinion and political representation;
- perspectives of small-scale media and community media;
- tabloidization of the media;
- globalization of media and media policies;
- popular culture as political communication; media (in) war and peace;
- democratic rhetoric and duty of liberation;
- transformations in the public sphere(s) and the development of a European public sphere;
- E-networks and democratic life;
- “forgotten” communication scholars, and many others.
Although the primary objective of the journal is to contribute to intellectual understanding of transformations in the democratic process, it is also meant to contribute to improved political practice, policy, and action.
Helping you Publish your Research
We aim to make publishing with Taylor & Francis a rewarding experience for all our authors. Please visit our Author Services website for more information and guidance, and do contact us if there is anything we can help with!
To submit an article, please visit this page.
Why publish in Javnost - The Public?
In addition to publishing in this prestigious benefits authors will be able to:
- Validate your research through a robust, double-blind peer review process;
- Increase your opportunities for future collaboration;
- Share your research with 50 free e-prints and tips on promoting your article courtesy of our Author Resources site;
- Immediately see the impact of your research made in the community: track downloads, citations, and the Altmetric Score of your article on My Authored Works;
- and much more!