Editorial Board Vacancies
Perspectives journal is seeking additional members to join its Editorial Board. Following some changes in the way in which the journal is run, nominees are no longer required to also be members of the AUA. However, members of the Board will need to show some significant connection with higher education at a senior level. The vacancies are intended to be filled from 1 January 2022 for an initial four-year term of office.
Aims and Scope of the Journal
Perspectives: policy and practice in higher education informs and challenges higher education managers and administrators, both within the UK and internationally, by publishing scholarly material which analyses and develops their practice of leadership, management and policymaking. It also aims to inform students and researchers in higher education policy, leadership and management as well as policy makers in governmental organisations and elsewhere.
Contributions are welcomed from practitioners in the field as well as from those studying higher education. Articles should aim to: advance managers’ and policymakers’ knowledge and understanding within the wider higher education environment; encourage the exchange and internationalisation of ideas about the practice and development of management in higher education; and foster debate about the effects of changes in the environment on working practices in higher education management.
• The Board normally meets four times per year, normally by videoconference. Should a member miss three consecutive meetings, or otherwise fail to fulfil the expectations of Board members, their membership on the committee will be subject to review by the Chair and Editor.
• Members are expected to undertake a number of reviews of articles themselves each year and to encourage others to review for the journal.
• Members are expected to encourage appropriate submissions to the journal.
• Members are expected to abide by the Nolan Principles for good governance and conduct in public life.
The person appointed will be expected to be qualified to at least first-degree level and to have experience of:
• Regular reading of professional or academic journals.
• Working in tertiary education.
• Working as a member of a professional team.
• Commitment to, and understanding of, codes of ethics relevant to academic life.
Additionally, candidates will desirably possess a higher degree and have experience of:
• Writing and reviewing of scholarly articles. • A senior role in higher education management.
• Familiarity with the requirements of the double-anonymous peer review process.
• Assisting in the editorial processes of a professional or academic journal
Purpose of the Editorial Board
The Editorial Board and its Members are jointly responsible for:
• The vision and direction of the journal
• For guidance on content, quality, and balance
• Ensuring the highest standards of academic excellence, ethical integrity, a commitment to academic freedom, and legal probity
• For undertaking roles in support of the production of the journal, such as encouraging submissions, mentoring authors, and acting as reviewer
• Supporting the Editors in their duties.
Membership of the Editorial Board
The membership of the Board is as follows:
• The Editors (appointed by the Publisher)
• The Chair (appointed by the Editorial Board)
• Up to 11 Members (appointed by the Editorial Board)
• Representative of the AUA (appointed by the Editorial Board on the nomination of the AUA Board of Trustees)
• Publisher’s Representative(s) (appointed by the Publisher)
Terms of Appointment
• Members are normally appointed for a fixed term of four years. To ensure continuity, appointments may be made for shorter periods in the first instance.
• Interviews for Members of the Board may take place if necessary but are not required.
• Members who have served two consecutive terms are normally required to retire from the Board for at least one year before becoming eligible for re-appointment.
• When an existing member of the Board becomes Chair, their previous position on the Board becomes vacant.
The journal is committed to advancing equality and valuing diversity in all its practices. In making appointments, the Editorial Board wishes to have the highest possible regard to increasing the diversity of its membership.
We particularly encourage applications from women, disabled, Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic candidates and others with protected characteristics as individuals from these groups are underrepresented in our membership.
Submitting Your Application
Application is by letter and brief curriculum vitae and these should be received by the Chair of the Board no later than 30 November 2021. Informal enquiries may be made of the Chair of the Editorial Board ([email protected]).