Call for Senior Editor
Application Deadline: 15 January 2020
About the Role
Cogent Psychology, part of Taylor & Francis/Routledge, is a multidisciplinary open access journal that strives for inclusivity and global reach. The broad scope of the journal creates a perfect environment to foster connections between researchers across all areas of psychology, from clinical psychology, cognitive science, and developmental psychology to health psychology, social psychology, and applied psychology. The journal is well-established, and we are now looking to increase its impact in the field.
Through open access publishing, we bring sound and scholarly research to people across the globe. Our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Peter Walla, leads an expert and diverse international editorial board who undertake objective and constructive peer review. Each submission is evaluated on its own scholarly merit and research integrity. A range of article types are accepted, including reviews, letters and replication studies. For more information on the journal, please visit: https://www.cogentoa.com/journal/psychology
The journal seeks to appoint Senior Editors with strong academic backgrounds and publishing experience, as well as the passion to drive the journal forward in an exciting period of change. Senior Editors will lead and take responsibility for their assigned sections.
The sections for which the journal is recruiting Senior Editors include:
- Social Psychology – scope includes empirical work across the full breadth social psychology. Topics may include: the social psychological aspects of personality, affect and emotion, social cognition, self and social identity, social influence, intergroup relations and language and discourse.
- Health Psychology – scope includes all aspects of psychological approaches to health, health-related behaviour and illness. This section welcomes topics including, but not limited to: psychological aspects of physical illness, treatment and recovery, management of acute and chronic illness, responses to ill health, health attitudes and behaviour, psychosocial processes relevant to health and disease outcome and psychological interventions in health and disease.
- Clinical Psychology & Neuropsychology – scope includes clinical outcomes and neuropsychology research, assessment and practice. Multidisciplinary approaches are encouraged, and topics may include: work on neurological, psychiatric and psychological patient populations, behavioural or pharmacological treatments, psychopathology and cognitive experimentation.
The successful candidates will be responsible for the editorial oversight of their assigned sections: coordinating the peer-review process, recruiting a team of Editors to assist with peer-review coordination, and commissioning high quality submissions to the journal. The Senior Editors will uphold the highest standards of scholarship for the journal, and will ensure that reviewers and authors adhere to the Journal’s Code of Publishing Ethics.
Taylor & Francis will support you in all aspects of the role. We provide training and support on all editorial processes and system, including the journal online editorial office system, Editorial Manager, which manages the peer-review process. We will provide you with regular journal performance data to inform your strategic decision-making, and offer guidance on strategic journal development, publishing ethics, and developments within the publishing landscape.
Becoming the editor of a journal is a rewarding and fulfilling experience where you will build your own networks, promote the research that you are passionate about, and be recognized as a leading figure within the academic community. It is a significant role, with a high profile, but one that we believe is compatible with an existing academic timetable.
Interested in applying?
Here are the skills and attributes we would be looking for in a successful applicant:
- Active in the scholarly community with strong personal networks
- Confidence to engage with authors and researchers to solicit the highest quality submissions
- Strong organizational skills to ensure that submissions are handled in a timely manner
- The ability to foster positive working relationships with colleagues such as handling editors
- Previous editorial experience would be advantageous
Submitting your application
If you would like to apply for the position of Senior Editor, please forward your CV and a vision statement for your section to Open Access Portfolio Manager, Vicky Truter, at [email protected] by 15 January 2020.
Your vision statement should be no longer than two pages and should cover:
- Where you believe the field is going, and the journal’s place within it
- How you would work in partnership with the editorial board
- How you would maintain and increase the quality of submissions
- How you would work with authors
The Senior Editor roles will informally begin immediately.