Call for Editor-in-Chief
Cogent Mathematics & Statistics
About the role
Taylor & Francis are looking to recruit an Editor-in-Chief for the Cogent Mathematics & Statistics (CMS). CMS is a refereed, open-access journal that covers the full scope of mathematics and statistics, including pure, applied, computational and interdisciplinary mathematics.
We are now seeking an outstanding academic researcher or practitioner with an international reputation for research excellence, a passion for communication, and ideally prior experience of editing a scientific journal and/or with open access research. She or he will have the opportunity to build on the Journal’s success and work with Taylor & Francis to help shape its future direction by identifying strategies to enhance its quality and reputation.
The successful candidate will be responsible for editorial oversight and decision-making employing the Journal’s existing online submission and peer review system, ScholarOne Manuscripts™. She or he will have authority to handle and accept papers following successful peer review, and will ensure that reviewers and authors adhere to the Journal’s Publishing Ethics. Taylor & Francis will provide remuneration for the role to cover journal-related expenses. We will also provide the successful candidate with full ScholarOne Manuscripts™ training and organise regular meetings with Taylor & Francis where we supply data on trends in the discipline to help shape the direction of the Journal.
- Overseeing the technical content and quality of Cogent Mathematics & Statistics
- Providing input on all aspects of content, initial vetting of manuscripts and article selections for each issue
- Implementing improvements to the overall editorial structure of Cogent Mathematics & Statistics
- Interacting with board members for receipt of reviews, recommendations, decisions, etc.
- Chairing and directing editorial board meetings
- Making periodic assessments of the editorial board and recommending changes when appropriate
- Acting as spokesperson for Cogent Mathematics & Statistics in public forums, meetings and conferences
- Developing and maintaining beneficial links with other journals and associated organizations
The successful candidate must be able to assess the scientific merit of research papers, provide editorial direction, and stay abreast of and discuss scientific developments at a high level with academics and practitioners during travel to conferences.
The Editor-in-Chief should possess the following characteristics:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential
- A published author and prior experience as a reviewer
- Previous editorial experience, which could include membership of a journal editorial board or acting as a special issue guest editor
- Knowledge of and experience with Open Access publishing
- Experience of using online submission systems such as ScholarOne Manuscripts™
Submitting your Application
If you would be interested in applying for the position of Editor-in-Chief please forward your CV and a covering letter to the Portfolio Manager for consideration: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications for this position is 30 May 2020.