Applications are invited for the post of Senior Editor of the Management section for the Journal, Cogent Business & Management
The post is for a term of three years starting in January 2021, renewable by mutual consent for further terms at the publisher’s discretion.
About the Journal
Cogent Business & Management, part of the Routledge Journals portfolio at Taylor & Francis Group, is a multidisciplinary Open Access Journal that strives for inclusivity and global reach. The broad scope of the Journal creates a perfect environment to foster connections between researchers across all areas of Business & Management research.
Through Open Access publishing, we bring sound and scholarly research to people across the globe. Our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Len Tiu Wright, leads an expert and diverse international Editorial Board who undertake objective and constructive peer review. Each submission is evaluated on its own scholarly merit and research integrity.
Cogent Business & Management considers original research, review articles, letters and replication studies in the following five sections and broad topical areas – Management; Marketing; Operations Research, Information and Technology; Accounting, Corporate Governance and Business Ethics; and Banking and Finance.
The Management section of the Journal encourages submissions that cover any area of management, including entrepreneurship, innovation, human resource management and careers, strategic management, international business, management education and development, gender and diversity in organizations, critical management studies, organizational behaviour, organizational change and organization and management theory. The section also welcomes papers that demonstrate relevance to business practice, policy, or potential for societal impact and it is open to various research methods, models and platforms.
The Journal is indexed in the Emerging Sources Citation Index, Scopus and the Chartered Association of Business Schools’ Academic Journal Guide (often known as the ‘ABS list’).
For more information about the Journal and the publisher, please visit: https://www.cogentoa.com/journal/business-and-management or www.tandfonline.com/oabm
Description of the Role
The Journal is seeking to appoint a Senior Editor with a strong academic background and publishing experience, as well as the passion to drive the Journal forward in an exciting period of change. Senior Editors lead and take responsibility for their assigned sections, supported by the Editor-in-Chief.
The publisher will provide an annual contribution to expenses incurred by the Senior Editor in the performance of the role.
The tasks to be undertaken will include but will not be limited to:
- Working with the Editor-in-Chief, other Senior Editors and the publisher to develop the editorial strategy and direction of Cogent Business & Management and acting as an ambassador for the Journal;
- Leadership of the Management section of the Journal:
- Working with the current team of Editors for the Management section, assigning team members manuscripts for them to coordinate the peer review process;
- Recruiting new Editors for the Management section, working with the Editor-in-Chief
- Co-ordinating the peer review of some manuscripts submitted to the Management section yourself and making final decisions on whether they will be published in the Journal;
- Commissioning high quality submissions to the Journal;
- Commissioning topical special issues with active, well-respected Guest Editors;
- Responsibility for enhancing the quality and reputation of the Journal, particularly in relation to the quantity, quality and timeliness of published research;
- Upholding the highest standards of scholarship for the Journal and ensuring that all reviewers and authors uphold the Journal’s Code of Publishing Ethics and Editorial Policies.
- Refreshing the team of Editors and pool of reviewers as necessary in terms of subject specialisms and geographical representation;
- Attendance and networking at international conferences and events (online or in-person) to promote and solicit submissions, invited contributions, and special issue proposals;
- Attending one Editorial meeting annually, also attended by the publisher.
Taylor & Francis will support you in all aspects of the role. We provide training and support on all editorial processes and system, including the Journal’s electronic submission and peer review system, Editorial Manager, which manages the peer-review process. We will provide you with regular journal performance data to inform your strategic decision-making, and offer guidance on strategic journal development, publishing ethics, and developments within the publishing landscape.
Interested in applying?
Becoming an editor for a journal is a rewarding and fulfilling experience where you will build your own networks, promote the research that you are passionate about, and be recognized as a leading figure within the academic community. It is a significant role, with a high profile, but one that we believe is compatible with an existing academic timetable.
We are seeking an outstanding and professional academic actively involved in the Management discipline with an international reputation for research excellence, and a passion for communication. Prior experience of editing an established Management journal is preferred, but not essential.
Some of the skills and attributes we would be looking for in a successful applicant:
- Active in the scholarly community with strong personal networks
- Confidence to engage with authors and researchers to solicit the highest quality submissions
- Strong organizational skills to ensure that submissions are handled in a timely manner
- The ability to foster positive working relationships with colleagues such as handling Editors
Key qualities sought for the position include energy, enthusiasm, managerial skills to oversee the editorial cycle, an understanding of research and publishing ethics, and the ability to meet deadlines and work effectively with a major publisher. Applicants should have clear employer or institutional support for this activity for the duration of the three-year appointment, including release time as necessary and general office support.
If you would like to apply for the position of Senior Editor, please send your CV and a vision statement for the Management section to James Cleaver, Portfolio Manager for Business & Management at Routledge Journals, Taylor & Francis Group, [email protected], by the 31st October 2020.
Your vision statement should be no longer than two pages and should cover:
- Where you believe the Management field is going, and the Journal’s place within it
- How you would work in partnership with your team of Editors for the Management section
- How you would maintain and increase the quality of submissions
- How you would work with authors
All applications will be treated as strictly confidential. The publisher will judge each application on its merits without regard to the race, religion, nationality, sex, seniority, or institutional affiliation of the candidate.
The Senior Editor role will begin from 1st January 2021.
Cogent Business & Management is a multidisciplinary Open Access Journal that strives for inclusivity and global reach. The broad scope of the Journal creates a perfect environment to foster connections between researchers across all areas of Business & Management research, from Operations Research to Corporate Governance and Accounting to Marketing.