Call for Senior Editor
Application Deadline: 3 December 2019
About the Role
Cogent Arts & Humanities, part of Taylor & Francis/Routledge, is a multidisciplinary open access journal that strives for inclusivity and global reach. The broad scope of the journal creates a perfect environment to foster connections between researchers across all areas of arts and humanities research, from culture, media and film, history, literature and linguistics, philosophy, religion, and the visual and performing arts. The journal is well-established, and we are now looking to increase its impact in the field.
Through open access publishing, we bring sound and scholarly research to people across the globe. Our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Peter Fosl, leads an expert and diverse international editorial board undertake objective and constructive peer review. Each submission is evaluated on its own scholarly merit and research integrity. A range of article types are accepted, including reviews, letters and replication studies. For more information on the journal, please visit: https://www.cogentoa.com/journal/arts-and-humanities
The journal seeks to appoint Senior Editors with strong academic backgrounds and publishing experience, as well as the passion to drive the journal forward in an exciting period of change. Senior Editors will lead and take responsibility for their assigned sections.
The sections for which the journal is recruiting Senior Editors include:
- History – scope covers the full breadth of historical research, ranging from social, economic and political, to cultural and international fields of history. The section’s broad chronological scope and geographical coverage enables researchers to explore multidisciplinary approaches and perspectives to their research.
- Visual & Performing Arts – scope covers broad research across the visual and performing arts and texts. The section encourages submissions that explore any form of performance studies and theories, in context within their wider interdisciplinary cultural and sociological contexts. Research fields include contemporary arts, exhibitions, music, dance, critical theory, technology, and theatre studies.
The successful candidates will be responsible for the editorial oversight of their assigned sections: coordinating the peer-review process, recruiting a team of Editors to assist with peer-review coordination, and commissioning high quality submissions to the journal. The Senior Editors will uphold the highest standards of scholarship for the journal, and will ensure that reviewers and authors adhere to the Journal’s Code of Publishing Ethics.
Taylor & Francis will support you in all aspects of the role. We provide training and support on all editorial processes and system, including the journal online editorial office system, Editorial Manager, which manages the peer-review process. We will provide you with regular journal performance data to inform your strategic decision-making, and offer guidance on strategic journal development, publishing ethics, and developments within the publishing landscape.
Becoming the editor of a journal is a rewarding and fulfilling experience where you will build your own networks, promote the research that you are passionate about, and be recognized as a leading figure within the academic community. It is a significant role, with a high profile, but one that we believe is compatible with an existing academic timetable.
Interested in applying?
Here are the skills and attributes we would be looking for in a successful applicant:
- Active in the scholarly community with strong personal networks
- Confidence to engage with authors and researchers to solicit the highest quality submissions
- Strong organizational skills to ensure that submissions are handled in a timely manner
- The ability to foster positive working relationships with colleagues such as handling Editors
Submitting your application
If you would like to apply for the position of Senior Editor, please forward your CV and a vision statement for your section to Open Access Portfolio Manager, Vicky Truter, at firstname.lastname@example.org by 3 December 2019.
Your vision statement should be no longer than two pages and should cover:
- Where you believe the field is going, and the journal’s place within it
- How you would work in partnership with the editorial board
- How you would maintain and increase the quality of submissions
- How you would work with authors
- Previous editorial experience would be advantageous
The Senior Editor roles will informally begin immediately, and formally begin from January 2020.