Call for Editor-in-Chief
Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology
About the role
Taylor & Francis is looking to recruit a new Editor-in-Chief for Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology (JDST) for 2020. JDST is a high-quality publication that covers fundamental and applied aspects related to multiphase systems including dispersions, emulsions and foams. A comprehensive listing of topics covered in the journal can be found on the journal’s Aims & Scope page. The Journal is included in many important bibliographic databases like PubMed, Scopus, and Web of Science.
We are seeking a new Editor-in-chief who is an outstanding academic researcher or practitioner with a background in chemical engineering or a specific focus on dispersion science and has the passion to drive the journal forward in an exciting period of change. It is a significant role, but one that is achievable and extremely rewarding.
Becoming the editor of a journal is a fulfilling experience where you will build your own networks, promote the research that you are passionate about, and be recognized as a leading figure within the academic community. The Editor-in-Chief is supported by an international Editorial Board who can form the core of the journal’s reviewer base, assist with the peer-review process for submitted manuscripts, promote the journal to their networks and regions, as well as help to advise on the strategic direction of the journal.
Working collaboratively with the Editorial Board and the Publisher, the successful candidate will undertake the following responsibilities:
- Overseeing all editorial aspects of the Journal by ensuring the highest standards of academic rigor are present on Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology
- Identifying strategies to enhance the quality and reputation of the Journal
- Soliciting, receiving, and processing new contributions to the journal through the peer review system, ensuring that all reviewers and authors uphold the journal's Code of Publishing Ethics.
- Encouraging the submission of manuscripts from both established researchers in the field and promising early career researchers
- Review and expand the pool of reviewers as necessary, in terms of size, topic specialty, and geographical representation
- Implementing improvements to the overall editorial structure of Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology and interacting with board members for receipt of reviews, recommendations, decisions, etc.
- Determining the Aims & Scope of the journal and updating as necessary to ensure constant alignment with editorial strategy
- Chairing and directing editorial board meetings held annually
- Acting as spokesperson for Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology in public forums, meetings, and conferences
- Developing and maintaining beneficial links with other journals and associated organizations
- Assuring that the integrity and reputation of the journal is maintained at all times, by adhering to the publishing ethics outlined in COPE Code of Conduct and Best Practice Guidelines for Journal Editors.
Taylor & Francis will provide remuneration for the role, along with resources and reporting to reflect on the performance of the Journal and inform future strategy and direction.
Submitting your Application
Interested in applying? Here are the skills and attributes we would be looking for in a successful applicant:
- Someone who is active in the community with strong personal networks
- Confidence to engage with authors and researchers to solicit the highest quality submissions
- Strong organizational skills to ensure that submissions are handled in a timely manner
- The ability to foster positive working relationships with colleagues
- Someone who will act as spokesperson for JDST in public forums, meetings, and conferences
- A history of previous publications and experience as a reviewer for journals
- Previous editorial experience, which could include membership of a journal editorial board or acting as a special issue guest editor (previous Editor-in-Chief experience preferred)
- Experience using online submission systems
- The successful candidate must be able to assess the scientific merit of research papers, provide editorial direction, and stay abreast of and discuss scientific developments at a high level with academics and practitioners during travel to conferences
If you would like to apply for the position of Editor-in-Chief, please forward your CV, a cover letter, and a vision statement to Portfolio Manager, Bailey Young at [email protected] by 1 February 2021. Your vision statement should be no longer than two pages and should cover:
- Where you believe the field is going, and the Journal’s place within it
- How you would work in partnership with the editorial board
- How you would maintain and increase the quality of submissions
- How you would work with authors
- You are welcome to comment on the current Aims & Scope and Editorial Board, identifying any changes or improvements you would seek to make.
We will be looking to conduct interviews in the weeks following the 1 February 2021 deadline, and the position will start on 1 April 2021.