Founding Editors' Awards
Honoring Richard Ralph in 2019
Objective of the Awards
To encourage the highest quality scholarship in dance history research (broadly defined) among scholars at the early phase of their careers.
We anticipate making three (3) awards biennially, contingent upon the quality of manuscripts submitted for adjudication.
First Place: Cash prize $1,000.00, free subscription to Dance Chronicle for one year, and publication of submitted article in Dance Chronicle.
Second Place: Free subscription to Dance Chronicle for one year and publication of submitted article in Dance Chronicle.
Runner-up: Publication of submitted article in Dance Chronicle.
Editor: Joellen A. Meglin, Temple University
Editor: Clare Lidbury, University of Wolverhampton
- To be eligible for consideration the scholar must have received the PhD between July 1, 2016 and July 1, 2019 and must submit a copy or scan of his/her diploma.
- The scholar may have received his/her degree in the field of dance or any other field in the humanities.
- The mode and methods of research should be those of dance history broadly defined to include theoretical, critical, and philosophical inquiry into dance as art or cultural practice as it exists in the present or has existed in the past anywhere in the world.
- The topic of the essay must relate to dance (broadly defined) in a significant way.
- The submitted manuscript must be between 6,000 and 10,000 words in length (with the footnotes and endnotes included in the word count).
- The submission must be written in the English language, although primary-source quotations in another language may (and should, if applicable) be given in footnotes.
- The submission must be formatted according to Dance Chronicle's "Style Guidelines for Authors." To be eligible for consideration, the writing in the manuscript must meet acceptable standards of good English.
- Awardees must be willing to revise their essays as they work through the normal editorial process toward publication. Payment of the cash award will be made upon successful completion of the process.
Process of Entry
Manuscripts should be submitted digitally to the journal's Editorial Manager site athttp://www.editorialmanager.com/dc by August 1, 2019. Each manuscript submission will be vetted by the co-editors for its eligibility based on the published requirements (see above). The co-editors will announce the names of awardees and return results to all entering scholars on December 1, 2019
For the Dance Chronicle Founding Editors' Awards, a panel of distinguished scholars of dance will adjudicate the manuscripts and select winners:
Lynn Matluck Brooks
Julie Van Camp
- Deadline for manuscript submissions: August 1, 2019
- Announcement of award winners: December 1, 2019
- Publication of award-winning manuscripts: December 2020- Dance Chronicle, Vol. 43.