Join the Conversation!
Share your research with the Journal of Interactive Advertising
Deadline: October 13, 2019
Interactive Advertising and Digital Communications in Fashion
The Journal of Interactive Advertising (JIAD), owned and published by the American Academy of Advertising, is a refereed publication designed to promote our understanding of interactive advertising, marketing, and communication in a networked world. The Journal will publish a special issue on “Interactive Advertising and Digital Communications in Fashion” with papers presented in “Interactive Advertising and Digital Communications in Fashion” track at the 2019 Global Fashion Marketing Conference at Paris.
This special issue examines the intersection of interactive advertising and fashion consumer behavior. Over the past several years, interactive advertising has provided new opportunities for fashion brands and products to connect with their target customers more personally and innovatively. For example, Chanel and Burberry have been recognized as the most influential luxury brands on social through its digital strategies. Meanwhile, Instagram has become the most influential source for fashion insight and the top social media site for fashion brand followers.
As interactive technologies continue to evolve, newer platforms such as artificial intelligence (AI), augmented reality (AR), virtual reality (VR), and voice/image recognition technology have vastly changed fashion consumer behavior. It is undoubtedly that research related to interactive advertising and fashion consumer behavior is needed given the growth of young fashion consumers along with new trends in interactive media.
The landscape of interactive advertising has been changed over the past decade. Today, interactive advertising encompasses a variety of forms such as search, email, display, mobile, digital video, audio, programmatic, social, advergaming, interactive billboard, and behavioral advertising (Interactive Advertising Bureau). With the advent of new technologies, interactive advertising presents tremendous opportunities for consumer to consumer and consumer to brand exchanges through “communication, interaction, control, change, and creation via computer-mediated experiences” (Daugherty et al. 2017). How do fashion marketers use interactive advertising to connect with their consumers? How has interactive advertising changed and impacted fashion consumer behavior? This special issue seeks to answer these questions with academic research on interactive advertising and consumer behavior toward fashion.
Potential topics may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Interactive advertising effectiveness related to fashion brands
- Internet advertising and fashion consumer behavior
- Social media and fashion/luxury brands (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, WeChat, Weibo, Pinterest)
- Fashion influencers, bloggers, and vloggers
- Personalization and customization in fashion advertising strategy
- Relationship marketing and fashion consumers
- Electronic word-of-mouth (eWOM) and fashion marketing
- Online product reviews and user-generated content (UGC) for fashion brands
- Online community for fashion consumers
- Native advertising in the fashion industry
- Consumer engagement for fashion brands in interactive environments
- Fashion brand management through interactive advertising
- Big data and fashion consumer behavior
- Ethical, societal, diversity and policy considerations related to fashion interactive advertising
- Corporate social responsibility and sustainability via interactive advertising for fashion brands
- Media technologies (e.g., AR, VR) and fashion brand experience
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) in fashion (e.g., Stitch Fix, online styling subscription service)
- Local and location-based fashion interactive advertising
- Cultural and global perspective of interactive advertising and fashion
Deadline: October 13, 2019
- Manuscripts must be submitted via the journal's submission portal.
- Authors should select “SPECIAL ISSUE: Interactive Advertising and Digital Communications in Fashion” as manuscript type. Please also note in the cover letter that it is for the special issue.
- All papers should be formatted according to the JIAD Submission Guidelines.
- For papers initially submitted to the 2019 GFMC, those selected by the special issue co-editors will be invited for submitting full papers to this special issue. Authors of those papers will be notified of submission to the JIAD shortly following the conference.
- Papers presented at the GFMC JIAD track and invited by the co-editors will receive priority consideration for publication in the special issue.
- All submissions are subject to the formal double-blind review process of the JIAD.
Special Issue Editors:
Looking to Publish your Research?
Daugherty, T., Djuric, V., Li, H. & Leckenby, J. (2017) Establishing a Paradigm: A Systematic Analysis of Interactive Advertising Research, Journal of Interactive Advertising, 17:1, 65-78.