Call for Editor-in-Chief
Submission Deadline: 15 September 2019
Taylor & Francis are looking to recruit an Editor-in-Chief for the newly-launched European Journal of Materials Science.
EJMS is an Open Access journal, and will publish research covering all areas of materials science. It is published on behalf of the Federation of European Materials Societies (FEMS), and aims to be a truly global journal.
We are now seeking an outstanding academic researcher or practitioner with an international reputation for research excellence, a passion for communication, and ideally prior experience of editing a scientific journal. They will have the opportunity to work with Taylor & Francis to help shape the journal’s future direction by identifying strategies to enhance its quality and reputation. The editor will also play a large role in selecting and appointing members of the journal’s editorial board.
The successful candidate will be responsible for editorial oversight and decision making employing the Journal’s online submission and peer review system. They will have authority to handle and accept papers following successful peer review and will ensure that reviewers and authors adhere to the Journal’s Publishing Ethics. Taylor & Francis will provide remuneration for the role to cover journal-related expenses. We will also provide the successful candidate with full Editorial Manager™ training and organise regular meetings where we will supply data on trends in the discipline to help shape the direction of the Journal.
- Overseeing the technical content and quality of EJMS
- Providing input on all aspects of content, initial vetting of manuscripts and article selections for each issue
- Implementing improvements to the overall editorial structure of EJMS
- Interacting with board members for receipt of referee reports, recommendations, decisions, etc.
- Chairing and directing editorial board meetings
- Making periodic assessments of the editorial board and recommending changes when appropriate
- Acting as spokesperson for EJMS in public forums, meetings and conferences
- Maintaining links with the Federation of European Materials Societies.
The successful candidate must be able to assess the scientific merit of research papers, provide editorial direction, and stay abreast of and discuss scientific developments at a high level with academics and practitioners during travel to conferences.
The Editor-in-Chief should possess the following characteristics:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A published author with prior experience as a reviewer
- Previous editorial experience, which could include membership of a journal editorial board or acting as a special issue guest editor
- Experience of using online submission systems such as Editorial Manager™
If you would be interested in applying for the position of Editor-in-Chief please forward your CV and a covering letter to the Portfolio Manager for consideration: firstname.lastname@example.org