Structural Integrity of Offshore Energy Industry
Journal of Structural Integrity and Maintenance: Special Issue Call for Papers
Deadline: 31st May 2019
The offshore, marine, and subsea energy industries continue to evolve creating new challenges and risks for the integrity, safety and reliability of its structures and systems. There is a push to expand operations into new locations and environments, such as the Arctic and greater depths, where operational conditions are considerably harsher. Many assets in mature fields, e.g. the North Sea, are rapidly reaching or have already exceeded their original design life and safe but affordable life extension and decommissioning are becoming major objectives.
The recent rapid developments in renewable energy technologies have introduced new challenges of maintaining at minimum cost the reliability and integrity of structures and equipment in remote locations. Little is known about structural integrity of systems such as tidal turbines and wave energy systems.
There are also exciting new opportunities, but also significant challenges and uncertainties, in applying structural health and condition monitoring and the novel concepts of additive manufacturing and big data to safety and structural integrity.
This special issue intends to bring together papers authored by leading researchers and practitioners that discuss and address the current and emerging issues and challenges, as well as recent successful breakthroughs and state-of-the-art and practice, in structural integrity, safety and reliability of energy industry’s offshore, marine, and subsea structures and systems related. It will feature papers providing both broader overviews of the main contemporary themes as well as more focused ones addressing specific issues of practical relevance.
Topic include, but are not limited to:
- Corrosions, erosion, abrasion and aging
- Probabilistic deterioration models and analysis
- Non-probabilistic deterioration models and analysis
- Uncertainty treatment in structural integrity assessment
- Structural integrity under extreme loads and in extreme environments
- Structural integrity of fixed, floating and submerged structures
- Structural integrity of pipes and risers
- Structural integrity of wind and tidal turbines and wave energy extractors
- Life-cycle assessment, asset integrity management decisions and optimization
- Safe and efficient life extension of assets
- Structural integrity in decommissioning projects
- Structural integrity in reusable structures and repowering projects
- Design for extended safe lifespan
- Multi-scale structural integrity damage modelling
- Structural health and condition monitoring
- Intelligent use of structural integrity monitoring data
- ‘Digital twins’ for structural integrity management
- Structural integrity of additively manufactured materials
- Case studies in structural integrity.