Recruiting for Co-Editor
The Journal of North African Studies
About the role
The Journal of North African Studies is currently recruiting for a Co-Editor. This role is a great opportunity for an academic with a strong research background in North African studies (social sciences and/or history), and who also has the commitment, drive and ability to help develop the journal. As part of this role, you will be responsible for the oversight and administration of a rigorous and proper peer review process that delivers an agreed amount of content of suitable scope and quality within an agreed publication timeframe.
Becoming the editor of a journal is a rewarding and fulfilling experience where you have the opportunity to build your own networks, develop and promote the research in your field, and be recognized as a leading figure within the academic community.
About the journal
The Journal of North African Studies provides an interdisciplinary forum for scholars of and from the region. Its contents cover both country-based and regional themes, which range from historical inquiries to political, sociological, cultural, anthropological, and economic studies. It is the first academic journal in English to analyze historic and current affairs of an important region of the Mediterranean basin linking West Asia, Africa, and Europe.
Key Skills and Attributes
Ready to apply? Here are the skills and attributes we are looking for in a successful applicant:
- Experience in academic publishing and familiarity with all stages of the process.
- The capacity to devote time each week to the role, and to attend Editorial Board meetings and training sessions as needed.
- The ability to ensure all submitted manuscripts are considered in a prompt, consistent and professional manner.
- The ability to confidently use an online peer review management system and ensure members of the editorial team do the same.
- Experience with working effectively with independent peer reviewers.
- The ability to read, summarize, and make decisions based on independent reviewer reports.
- A commitment to communicating promptly, consistently, and professionally with authors during the peer review process.
- Actively involved in growing and developing your academic networks through conference attendance and experience of networking through social media.
- A vision and enthusiasm for the continuous development of the journal.
Please submit your CV, a covering letter, and a vision statement via the ‘Apply’ button below.
Your vision statement should be no longer than one page and should cover:
- Where you believe the field is going, and the journal’s place within it
- How you would work in partnership with Co-Editors and the editorial board
- How you would maintain and increase the quality of submissions
- How you would work with authors
The journal is committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion within its editorial team and decision making processes. All applications will be treated as strictly confidential, and each will be judged on its merits without bias for seniority of institutional affiliation. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or protected veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics.