Recruiting for Co-Editor
The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development
About the role
The Journal of International Trade and Economic Development (JITED) focuses on international economics, economic development, and the interface between trade and development. JITED is designed to meet the needs of international and development economists, economic historians, applied economists, and policy makers.
JITED is looking for a new Co-Editor with an academic background in either economic development or international trade to join the existing editorial team. It is a significant role but one that is achievable within a continuing busy working academic timetable. To promote gender diversity of the editorial team, suitable female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will be responsible for assigning reviewers, editorial oversight and decision-making on submissions. He, or she, will have authority to accept articles following successful peer review, and will ensure that reviewers and authors adhere to the Journal’s Code of Publishing Ethics. Taylor & Francis will provide remuneration for the role to cover any journal-related expenses. The Journal utilises the ScholarOne Manuscripts online editorial office system.
Becoming the editor of a journal is a rewarding and fulfilling experience where you will build your own networks, promote the research that you are passionate about, and be recognized as a leading figure within the academic community.
The role will formally begin from January 2024 but we would welcome an earlier start date.
About the journal
Publication of high quality articles covering; theoretical and applied issues in international and development economics; econometric applications of trade and/or development issues based on sound theoretical economic models or testing fundamental economic hypotheses; models of structural change; trade and development issues of economies in Eastern Europe, Asia and the Pacific area; papers on specific topics which are policy-relevant; review articles on important branches of the literature including controversial and innovative ideas are also welcome.
JITED is designed to meet the needs of international and development economists, economic historians, applied economists, and policy makers. The international experts who make up the journal’s Editorial Board encourage contributions from economists world-wide.
Key Skills and Attributes
Ready to apply? Here are the skills and attributes we are looking for in a successful applicant:
- Experience in academic publishing and familiarity with all stages of the process.
- The capacity to devote time each week to the role, and to attend Editorial Board meetings and training sessions as needed.
- The ability to ensure all submitted manuscripts are considered in a prompt, consistent and professional manner.
- The ability to confidently use an online peer review management system and ensure members of the editorial team do the same.
- Experience with working effectively with independent peer reviewers.
- The ability to read, summarize, and make decisions based on independent reviewer reports.
- A commitment to communicating promptly, consistently, and professionally with authors during the peer review process.
- A commitment to engaging promptly and efficiently with Taylor & Francis staff and suppliers to implement necessary processes and improvements.
- A strong commitment to ethical rigour as well as knowledge of the COPE guidelines and commitment to ensure that the journal adheres to strict ethical standards at all times.
- A willingness to proactively lead the journal’s Editorial Board, to include arranging and leading Editorial Board meetings.
- A proven track record as a key opinion leader and known figure within your academic discipline.
- Actively involved in growing and developing your academic networks through conference attendance and experience of networking through social media.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the open access publishing environment.
- A vision and enthusiasm for the continuous development of the journal.
The role will formally begin from 1st January 2024. Depending on when the position is offered to the successful applicant, there may or may not be a handover period with the outgoing editor.
A Role Profile for the Co-Editor role is available on request. Applications should include your CV, a Cover Letter and a Vision Statement. Your Vision Statement should be no longer than 1 page and include:
- Where you believe the field is going, and the journal’s place within it
- How you would work in partnership with the editorial board and the other co-editors
- How you would maintain and increase the quality of submissions
- How you would work with authors
The journal is committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion within its editorial team and decision making processes. All applications will be treated as strictly confidential, and each will be judged on its merits without bias for seniority of institutional affiliation. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or protected veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics.