Social Media Editor needed for
Journal of Leisure Research
About the role
The Journal of Leisure Research (JLR) is seeking a Social Media Editor to create and run the journal’s social media accounts to promote the journal, and further support its increasing reach and dissemination.
The successful candidate should possess a doctoral degree or working toward a higher degree in leisure studies, sociology, psychology, recreation, sport, or tourism. They should be able to work effectively with the journals’ Editor, Editorial Board, and the National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA). They should also be eloquent and concise in communicating topical, popular, and newly published JLR articles to the public (at least once per published article and issue), and communicate effectively with the Editor, as well as interact with the handles of any related NRPA and Taylor & Francis subject Twitter accounts and other related accounts. The successful candidate is likely to have proven experience of using social media channels in either their professional and/or personal lives.
As part of the Social Media Editor role they are expected to:
- Identify relevant societies, conferences, social media profiles, blogs and key figureheads in academia and in industry, and keep apprised of their updates, engaging with them where appropriate to build up relationships;
- Share links to the latest issue or articles that have been published in the journal, or any of Routledge’s online marketing campaigns that involve the journal;
- Encourage the submission of articles from expert researchers in the field;
- Be the Ambassador for the journal; build, nurture, and grow a community around it;
- Increase awareness of the articles or special issues published in the journal in all relevant communities and amongst colleagues;
- Collaborate with the NRPA to effectively promote the journal.
The successful candidate will be appointed as "Social Media Editor" on the journal’s Editorial Board, will be provided with guidance and data to support them in their role, and work with the Editor and Publisher to build awareness of JLR by connecting with the journal’s community online. They may also be invited to join journal meetings, either virtually or in person (depending on location). As an Editorial Board member, they will also receive an online subscription to the journal, and a 30% discount for Routledge, Taylor & Francis books.
About the journal
The Journal of Leisure Research ( JLR) is an international scholarly journal that publishes innovative and interdisciplinary research that addresses critical issues of access to and engagement in leisure behaviors as they affect health and well-being across sectors (i.e., parks, recreation, leisure, sport, tourism, events) at individual, group, community and societal levels. Research from disciplines that offer theoretical and methodological insights into various (e.g., positive, negative) aspects of leisure in all its forms, such as social, psychological, cultural, political and environmental contexts is presented.
To apply, please submit the following:
- Full CV
- Cover letter: outlining how you meet the attributes listed above, your vision for the account, and how you would build awareness and maximize dissemination of journal content
- Three sample posts: suitable for three different social media platforms
- This could be for example Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn, or, for example the Chinese equivalents, Weibo, WeChat, and Maimai, as appropriate to where you may be based
- The posts should include all text and media related to the post, and pay due regard to the conventions, character and/or word limits relevant to the platform, and include any necessary or desired links, or ‘tags’
- Timing of the post may also be taken into consideration
- The three different posts should all be promoting the following article:
These can be sent through as a document, though you may find it easier to actually post from any existing social media accounts you have and send through direct links to the posts.
Any questions, please contact [email protected]
The journal is committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion within its editorial team and decision making processes. All applications will be treated as strictly confidential, and each will be judged on its merits without bias for seniority of institutional affiliation. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or protected veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics.