Senior Editors/Section Editors and Editorial Board Members needed for
Critical Insights – A new series of author/reader centric journals
About the role
The Critical Insights is a new series of high-quality, open access, author and reader centric journals from Taylor and Francis. The journals will be launching in the first half of 2024 and will publish their first papers by the end of 2024.
We are looking for Senior/Sections Editors and Editorial Board Members for Critical Insights journals across a range of subjects.
The successful applicants need to have a strong research background in their relevant field, and have the commitment, drive, passion, and ability to help develop the journal. They should hold strong views on the future development of their field, be enthusiastic about promoting new ideas, and champion their journal (and the Critical Insights series) to their communities.
We are recruiting for the following titles, Critical Insights in:
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Climate Change
- Environmental Science & Technology
- Environmental Studies
- Food Science & Technology
- Geochemistry & Geophysics
- Plant Science
Becoming a member of the journal's editorial team is a rewarding and fulfilling experience where you will have the opportunity to develop, promote, and champion the outstanding research in your field and be recognized as a leading figure within the academic community.
Senior Editor/Section Editor Role
This role is an opportunity to build your network in the field and affect the publishing process in a positive way that serves your community.
The role of the Senior/Section Editor will be to oversee a collaborative peer review process with assistance from the publisher. We want to ensure that the Senior/Section Editor can focus on evaluating articles submitted to the journal based on their scientific content.
The role of the Senior/Section editors in the peer review process will be to:
- Ensure quick desk decisions, so that unsuitable articles are removed from the publishing process as early as possible.
- Suggest reviewers for the article.
- Evaluate the reviews and make a recommendation as to whether the article is suitable for publication.
In addition, you will be asked to lead a section for your community, which will involve making connections with people in your field and inviting editorial board members. The community section is an opportunity to promote your specialty and help influence the direction of your field by highlighting what you assess to be the most important and exciting work.
Editorial Board Member Role
This role is an opportunity to build your network and advocate for your field.
The Editorial Board Members' role is to promote the journal within their communities, making contact with potential authors and encouraging them to submit to the journal, as well as:
- Act as advocates for their communities, promoting the journal by highlighting its aims and ethos
- Provide feedback to the community editor on the latest discoveries in the field
- Encourage colleagues working in areas you believe will be of interest to submit to
- Recommend suitable candidates to join as editorial board members
- Meet with the editorial board on a regular basis to discuss the wider state of the field and the journal
- Act as reviewers for articles within their field of expertise
This role is an opportunity to influence the direction of your field by building connections with important researchers working in your field, and highlighting novel and important areas of research.
About the journal
About the Critical Insights series
The Critical Insights is a new series of high-quality, open access, author and reader centric journals from Taylor and Francis.
With a focus on exceptional service for authors and readers, the Critical Insights series ensures that published research is ‘the best it can be’ representing the importance of the work and its influence on the field. Planned features include:
- Speedy desk decisions with support from a desk editor for integrity and initial checking
- Focus on constructive and positive peer review
- Dedicated publishing staff and systems to enable high quality, responsive customer service, and outstanding production quality
- Critical Insights Summaries highlighting the importance of the work and how its impact on the field
Key Skills and Attributes
Ready to apply? Here are the skills and attributes we are looking for in a successful applicant:
- Active researcher in a relevant field, with an understanding of research and publishing ethics
- A good understanding of Open Access publishing and Open Science landscape
- Strong personal networks within your field/communities
- Confidence to engage with authors and researchers to assist with soliciting high quality submissions
- Strong organisational skills
- The ability to foster positive working relationships with colleagues
- Experience acting as a peer reviewer for journals in the field
The journal is committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion within its editorial team and decision making processes. All applications will be treated as strictly confidential, and each will be judged on its merits without bias for seniority of institutional affiliation. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or protected veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics.