Senior Editor for Early Years and Primary Education needed for
About the role
Cogent Education is currently recruiting for a Senior Editor for the Early Years and Primary Education section!
The successful candidate will be instrumental in launching the new Early Years and Primary Education section from April 2024 and will continue in a leadership role once established.
They will have substantial expertise in this area, as well as the passion to develop and grow their section in an exciting period of change.
This is a significant role, with high profile, but is achievable within a continuing busy working academic timetable.
The Senior Editor will be responsible for creating the aims & scope statement for the section and will promote it in their own networks and beyond to encourage submissions from a broad range of authors.
Longer term, they will have overall editorial oversight and decision-making responsibilities on submissions to their section. They will have the authority to accept articles following successful peer review, and will ensure that reviewers and authors adhere to the Journal’s Code of Publishing Ethics.
Taylor & Francis will provide remuneration for the role to cover any journal-related expenses, will organise regular online board meetings, and will supply annual reports reflecting on the performance of the journal. Cogent Education utilises an online editorial office system to organise peer review (Editorial Manager).
Becoming the editor of a journal is a rewarding and fulfilling experience where you will build your own networks, promote the research that you are passionate about, and be recognized as a leading figure within the academic community.
About the journal
Cogent Education is a leading multidisciplinary open access journal, publishing high-quality, peer-reviewed articles across the breadth of educational research. The journal is led by Editor-in-Chief Professor John C.K. Lee (The Education University of Hong Kong), supported by an expert international Editorial Board. Our academic editors take an objective and constructive approach to peer review, ensuring each manuscript is evaluated on its own scholarly merits and research integrity.
Cogent Education considers original research and review articles in the following sections:
- Curriculum & Teaching Studies
- Education Policy
- Educational Assessment & Evaluation
- Educational Leadership & Management
- Educational Psychology & Counselling
- Higher Education
- Inclusive & Special Education
- Information & Communications Technology in Education
- International & Comparative Education
- Language Education
- Professional Education & Training
- Sociology of Education
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) Education
- Student Learning, Childhood & Voices
- Teacher Education & Development
Key Skills and Attributes
Ready to apply? Here are the skills and attributes we are looking for in a successful applicant:
- Experience and familiarity with all stages of the publishing process.
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to working on an open access journal.
- The ability to ensure all submitted manuscripts are considered in a prompt, consistent and professional manner.
- Confidence to engage with potential authors to encourage high quality submissions.
- The capacity to devote time each week to the role, and to attend Editorial Board meetings and training sessions as needed.
- The ability to confidently use an online peer review management system.
- Experience with working effectively with independent peer reviewers.
- The ability to read, summarize, and make decisions based on independent reviewer reports.
- A commitment to communicating promptly, consistently, and professionally with authors during the peer review process.
- A commitment to engaging promptly and efficiently with Taylor & Francis staff and suppliers to implement necessary processes and improvements.
- A strong commitment to ethical rigour as well as knowledge of the COPE guidelines and commitment to ensure that the journal adheres to strict ethical standards at all times.
- The ability to foster positive working relationships with colleagues on the journal’s Editorial Board
- A proven track record as a key opinion leader and known figure within your academic discipline.
- Actively involved in growing and developing your academic networks through conference attendance and experience of networking through social media.
- A vision and enthusiasm for the continuous development of the journal.
The role will formally begin from 1st April 2024.
A Role Profile for the Senior Editor is available on request via email on [email protected]
Applications for the Senior Editor should include your CV and a Cover Letter. Please submit these via the below link.
Your Cover Letter should be no longer than 2 pages and should include:
- Your motivation for applying to become a Senior Editor
- Your motivation for applying to work on Cogent Education
- Where you believe the field is going, and the journal’s place within it
- How your experience prepares you for the role described above
The journal is committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion within its editorial team and decision making processes. All applications will be treated as strictly confidential, and each will be judged on its merits without bias for seniority of institutional affiliation. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or protected veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics.