Recruiting for Editor-in-Chief
Mitochondrial DNA Part A
About the role
Mitochondrial DNA Part A is currently recruiting for an Editor in Chief. This role is a great opportunity for an academic with a strong research background in mitochondrial DNA research, and who also has the commitment, drive and ability to help develop the journal. As part of this role, you will be responsible for the oversight and administration of a rigorous and proper peer review process that delivers an agreed amount of content of suitable scope and quality within an agreed publication timeframe.
Becoming the editor of a journal is a rewarding and fulfilling experience where you have the opportunity to build your own networks, develop and promote the research in your field, and be recognized as a leading figure within the academic community.
About the journal
Mitochondrial DNA Part A publishes original high-quality manuscripts on physical, chemical, and biochemical aspects of mtDNA and proteins involved in mtDNA metabolism, and/or interactions. Manuscripts on cytosolic and extracellular mtDNA, and on dysfunction caused by alterations in mtDNA integrity as well as methodological papers detailing novel approaches for mtDNA manipulation in vitro and in vivo are welcome. Descriptive papers on DNA sequences from mitochondrial genomes, and also analytical papers in the areas of population genetics, phylogenetics and human evolution that use mitochondrial DNA as a source of evidence for studies will be considered for publication. The Journal also considers manuscripts that examine population genetic and systematic theory that specifically address the use of mitochondrial DNA sequences, as well as papers that discuss the utility of mitochondrial DNA information in medical studies and in human evolutionary biology.
Please note, Mitochondrial DNA no longer accepts genome announcement papers. Submission of mitochondrial DNA announcements should be made to the new journal Mitochondrial DNA Part B: Resources.
Peer Review Statement
Mitochondrial DNA Part A is an international, peer-reviewed journal which publishes high quality, original research contributions to scientific knowledge. All manuscript submissions are subject to initial appraisal by the Editor, and, if found suitable for further consideration, to peer review by independent, anonymous expert referees. All peer review is single blind and submission is online via ScholarOne Manuscripts.
Read the Instructions for Authors for information on how to submit your article.
Key Skills and Attributes
Here are the skills and attributes we would be looking for in a successful applicant:
- Experience in academic publishing and familiarity with all stages of the process
- The capacity to devote time each week to the role, and to attend Editorial Board meetings and training sessions as needed
- The ability to ensure all submitted manuscripts are considered in a prompt, consistent and professional manner
- The ability to confidently use an online peer review management system and ensures members of the editorial team do the same
- Experience with working effectively with independent peer reviewers
- The ability to read, summarize, and make decisions based on independent reviewer reports
- A commitment to communicating promptly, consistently and professionally with authors during the peer review process.
- A commitment to engaging promptly and efficiently with Taylor & Francis staff and suppliers to implement necessary processes and improvements
- A strong commitment to ethical rigour as well as knowledge of the COPE guidelines and commitment to ensure that the journal adheres to strict ethical standards at all times
- A willingness to proactively lead the journal’s Editorial Board, to include arranging and leading Editorial Board meetings.
- A proven track record as a key opinion leader and known figure within your academic discipline
- Actively involved in growing and developing your academic networks through conference attendance and experience of networking through social media
- A vision and enthusiasm for the continuous development of the journal
Ready to apply? Applications should include your CV, a Cover Letter and a Vision Statement. Your Vision Statement should be no longer than 1 page and include:
- Where you believe the field is going, and the journal’s place within it
- How you would work in partnership with the Editorial Board
- How you would maintain and increase the quality of submissions
- How you would work with authors
We are looking to recruit as soon as possible, so early application is encouraged.
The journal is committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion within its editorial team and decision making processes. All applications will be treated as strictly confidential, and each will be judged on its merits without bias for seniority of institutional affiliation. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or protected veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics.