Recruiting for Editor in Chief
Journal of Crop Improvement
About the role
The Journal of Crop Improvement is currently recruiting for an Editor in Chief. This role is a great opportunity for an academic with a strong research background in crop improvement and production, and who also has the commitment, drive and ability to help develop the journal. As part of this role, you will be responsible for the oversight and administration of a rigorous and proper peer review process that delivers an agreed amount of content of suitable scope and quality within an agreed publication timeframe.
Becoming the editor of a journal is a rewarding and fulfilling experience where you have the opportunity to build your own networks, develop and promote the research in your field, and be recognized as a leading figure within the academic community.
About the journal
The Journal of Crop Improvement provides an international forum to evaluate and review the latest advancements in basic and applied aspects of crop improvement and production, including seed science and technology. The journal directly addresses emerging issues, new strategies for new needs, and future challenges of crop improvement, production, and seed science, especially those leading to a secure world food supply and resource conservation using environmentally-friendly technologies. The Journal of Crop Improvement intends to create a unique niche in the crop improvement, production, and seed science literature by not only publishing research and review articles on varied issues but also by developing a series of thematic issues on cutting-edge topics or research fronts in the field.
The journal is a welcome and respected source of unparalleled, preeminent knowledge. Articles aim to: reveal novel concepts; achieve a new synthesis based on multifaceted, multilevel, and multidisciplinary approaches; identify key gaps in the knowledge that might be addressed by further research; and offer technical solutions to critical global problems in crop improvement, production, and seed science. Articles are presented in an understandable format, which can be directly used by students, teachers, researchers, practitioners, and advisors in the fields of genetics and plant breeding, molecular biology and biotechnology, transgenic crop technology, agronomy, soil science, crop physiology and biochemistry, ecology, agroclimatology, plant pathology, integrated pest management, seed science and technology, agrobiodiversity and other cognate sciences that are of prime interest to crop improvement and production.
Key Skills and Attributes
Ready to apply? Here are the skills and attributes we are looking for in a successful applicant:
- Experience in academic publishing and familiarity with all stages of the process.
- The capacity to devote time each week to the role, and to attend Editorial Board meetings and training sessions as needed.
- The ability to ensure all submitted manuscripts are considered in a prompt, consistent and professional manner.
- The ability to confidently use an online peer review management system and ensure members of the editorial team do the same.
- Experience with working effectively with independent peer reviewers.
- The ability to read, summarize, and make decisions based on independent reviewer reports.
- A commitment to communicating promptly, consistently, and professionally with authors during the peer review process.
- A commitment to engaging promptly and efficiently with Taylor & Francis staff and suppliers to implement necessary processes and improvements.
- A strong commitment to ethical rigour as well as knowledge of the COPE guidelines and commitment to ensure that the journal adheres to strict ethical standards at all times.
- A willingness to proactively lead the journal’s Editorial Board, to include arranging and leading Editorial Board meetings.
- A proven track record as a key opinion leader and known figure within your academic discipline.
- Actively involved in growing and developing your academic networks through conference attendance and experience of networking through social media.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the open access publishing environment.
- A vision and enthusiasm for the continuous development of the journal.
The role will formally begin from 1st May 2023
A Role Profile for the Editor in Chief is available on request. Applications should include your CV, a Cover Letter and a Vision Statement.
Your Vision Statement should be no longer than 1 page and include:
- Where you believe the field is going, and the journal’s place within it
- How you would work in partnership with the Editorial Board
- How you would maintain and increase the quality of submissions
- How you would work with authors.
The journal is committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion within its editorial team and decision making processes. All applications will be treated as strictly confidential, and each will be judged on its merits without bias for seniority of institutional affiliation. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or protected veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics.