Recruiting for Editor-in-Chief
Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research
About the role
Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research is currently recruiting for an Editor in Chief role. This role is a great opportunity for an academic with a strong research background in forestry, and who also has the commitment, drive and ability to help develop the journal. As part of this role, you will be responsible for the oversight and administration of a rigorous and proper peer review process that delivers an agreed amount of content of suitable scope and quality within an agreed publication timeframe.
The inherent requirements for the position are:
• A PhD in the forestry sciences, plus 3 or more years of post-doctoral experience
• Good publication history in the field of forestry
• Editorial experience as a reviewer or handling editor
Becoming the editor of a journal is a rewarding and fulfilling experience where you have the opportunity to build your own networks, develop and promote the research in your field, and be recognized as a leading figure within the academic community.
About the journal
Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research is a leading international research journal publishing on the entire field of forest research in boreal and temperate regions worldwide.
Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research is published in cooperation with Nordic Forest Research (SNS).
Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research aims to publish high quality scientific research from basic to applied subjects in forest researching including:
- Ecology and soil science
- Climate change
- Remote sensing
- Forest management, operations and resource assessment
- Wood science and technology
The journal accepts original research articles, short communications and review articles.
The journal operates a single-blind peer review policy. Authors can choose to publish gold open access in this journal.
Key Skills and Attributes
Ready to apply? Here are the skills and attributes we are looking for in a successful applicant:
- Experience in academic publishing and familiarity with all stages of the process.
- The capacity to devote time each week to the role, and to attend Editorial Board meetings and training sessions as needed.
- The ability to ensure all submitted manuscripts are considered in a prompt, consistent and professional manner.
- The ability to confidently use an online peer review management system and ensure members of the editorial team do the same.
- Experience with working effectively with independent peer reviewers.
- The ability to read, summarize, and make decisions based on independent reviewer reports.
- A commitment to communicating promptly, consistently, and professionally with authors during the peer review process.
- A commitment to engaging promptly and efficiently with Taylor & Francis staff and suppliers to implement necessary processes and improvements.
- A strong commitment to ethical rigour as well as knowledge of the COPE guidelines and commitment to ensure that the journal adheres to strict ethical standards at all times.
- A willingness to proactively lead the journal’s Editorial Board, to include arranging and leading Editorial Board meetings.
- A proven track record as a key opinion leader and known figure within your academic discipline.
- Actively involved in growing and developing your academic networks through conference attendance and experience of networking through social media.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the open access publishing environment.
- A vision and enthusiasm for the continuous development of the journal.
The role will formally begin from 1st January 2023.
A Role Profile for the Editor in Chief role is available on request. Applications should include your CV, a Cover Letter and a Vision Statement. Your Vision Statement should be no longer than 1 page and include:
- Where you believe the field is going, and the journal’s place within it
- How you would work in partnership with the Editorial Board
- How you would maintain and increase the quality of submissions
- How you would work with authors and reviewers
The journal is committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion within its editorial team and decision making processes. All applications will be treated as strictly confidential, and each will be judged on its merits without bias for seniority of institutional affiliation. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or protected veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics.