Recruiting for Editor-in-Chief, Editorial Board Members and Peer Reviewers
Journal of Further and Higher Education
About the role
The Journal of Further and Higher Education is currently recruiting for a new Editor-in-Chief. This role is a fantastic opportunity for an academic or academics (joint applications are welcomed) with a strong research background in Further and/or Higher Education, who also has the commitment, drive and ability to help develop the journal. As part of this role, you will be responsible for the oversight and administration of a rigorous and proper peer review process that delivers an agreed amount of content of suitable scope and quality within an agreed publication timeframe.
Becoming the editor of a journal is a rewarding and fulfilling experience where you have the opportunity to build your own networks, develop and promote the research in your field, and be recognized as a leading figure within the academic community.
We welcome applications for Editorial Board Members and Peer Reviewers.
About the journal
Journal of Further and Higher Education is an international, peer-reviewed journal publishing scholarly work that represents the whole field of post-16 education and training. The journal engages with a diverse range of topics within the field including management and administration, teacher education and training, curriculum, staff and institutional development, and teaching and learning strategies and processes.
Through encouraging engagement with and around policy, contemporary pedagogic issues and professional concerns within different educational systems around the globe, Journal of Further and Higher Education is committed to promoting excellence by providing a forum for scholarly debate and evaluation.
Articles that are accepted for publication probe and offer original insights in an accessible, succinct style, and debate and critique practice, research, theory. They offer informed perspectives on contextual and professional matters and critically examine the relationship between theory and practice across the spectrum of further and higher education.
Peer Review Policy:
All research articles in this journal have undergone rigorous peer review, based on initial editor screening and anonymized refereeing by at least two anonymous referees.
Key Skills and Attributes
Ready to apply? Here are the skills and attributes we are looking for in a successful applicant:
- Experience in academic publishing and familiarity with all stages of the process.
- The capacity to devote time each week to the role, and to attend Editorial Board meetings and training sessions as needed.
- The ability to ensure all submitted manuscripts are considered in a prompt, consistent and professional manner.
- The ability to confidently use an online peer review management system and ensure members of the editorial team do the same.
- Experience with working effectively with independent peer reviewers.
- The ability to read, summarize, and make decisions based on independent reviewer reports.
- A commitment to communicating promptly, consistently, and professionally with authors during the peer review process.
- A commitment to engaging promptly and efficiently with Taylor & Francis staff and suppliers to implement necessary processes and improvements.
- A strong commitment to ethical rigour as well as knowledge of the COPE guidelines and commitment to ensure that the journal adheres to strict ethical standards at all times.
- A willingness to proactively lead the journal’s Editorial Board, to include arranging and leading Editorial Board meetings.
- A proven track record as a key opinion leader and known figure within your academic discipline.
- Actively involved in growing and developing your academic networks through conference attendance and experience of networking through social media.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the open access publishing environment.
- A vision and enthusiasm for the continuous development of the journal.
The role will formally begin from January 2024.
A Role Profile for the Editor-in-Chief role is available on request. Applications should include your CV, a Cover Letter and a Vision Statement. Your Vision Statement should be no longer than 1 page and include:
- Where you believe the field is going, and the journal’s place within it
- How you would work in partnership with the Editorial Board
- How you would maintain and increase the quality of submissions
- How you would work with authors.
For any questions or the role profile, please contact the Portfolio Manager, [email protected].
The journal is committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion within its editorial team and decision making processes. All applications will be treated as strictly confidential, and each will be judged on its merits without bias for seniority of institutional affiliation. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or protected veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics.