Recruiting for Editor-in-Chief
International Journal of Hyperthermia
About the role
International Journal of Hyperthermia is currently recruiting for an Editor-in-Chief. This role is a great opportunity for an academic with a strong research background in hyperthermia and thermal therapies, and who also has the commitment, drive and ability to help develop the journal. As part of this role, you will be responsible for the oversight and administration of a rigorous and proper peer review process that delivers an agreed amount of content of suitable scope and quality within an agreed publication timeframe.
Becoming the editor of a journal is a rewarding and fulfilling experience where you have the opportunity to build your own networks, develop and promote the research in your field, and be recognized as a leading figure within the academic community.
About the journal
The International Journal of Hyperthermia publishes peer reviewed research and clinical studies on thermal energy-based disease treatments. It is the official journal of the Society for Thermal Medicine, the European Society for Hyperthermic Oncology, and the Japanese Society for Thermal Medicine.
The journal publishes research, perspectives, and letters related to the clinical studies, biological studies, and physics/engineering studies of therapeutic thermal therapies. The journal covers the following topics:
- Clinical studies describing whole, regional or local treatment in humans or other animals covering the application of therapeutic thermal energy treatment alone or in combination with other clinical modalities
- Clinical outcomes on the physiological effects of heat or cold stress
- Clinical testing of methods related to thermal technologies
- Biological studies incorporating biochemical, anatomical or physiological studies of a basic or preclinical nature using basic biochemical, cell, animal, or computational models
- Research covering thermal tolerance, stress or shock, response and injury, immunological and physiological effects, toxicity and drug delivery, gene therapy, nanotechnology and nanomedicine
- The development of technologies and strategies for energy delivery and control, with an end goal to effect specific biologic responses leading to therapeutic outcomes
- Modalities and technology of therapy delivery, imaging, temperature management, and treatment monitoring and verification
- Advances in energy systems to produce tissue heating or cooling, or temperature monitoring and validation, or to control tissue temperature regulation
- Methods of measuring and modelling hypothermia and the thermal therapies and related technologies and systems
The International Journal of Hyperthermia accepts original articles, reviews, and letters to the editor.
The journal operates a single-blind peer review policy. All articles will be made freely and permanently available online through gold open access publication.
Key Skills and Attributes
Ready to apply? Here are the skills and attributes we are looking for in a successful applicant:
- Experience in academic publishing and familiarity with all stages of the process.
- The capacity to devote time each week to the role, and to attend Editorial Board meetings and training sessions as needed.
- The ability to ensure all submitted manuscripts are considered in a prompt, consistent and professional manner.
- The ability to confidently use an online peer review management system and ensure members of the editorial team do the same.
- Experience with working effectively with independent peer reviewers.
- The ability to read, summarize, and make decisions based on independent reviewer reports.
- A commitment to communicating promptly, consistently, and professionally with authors during the peer review process.
- A commitment to engaging promptly and efficiently with Taylor & Francis staff and suppliers to implement necessary processes and improvements.
- A strong commitment to ethical rigour as well as knowledge of the COPE guidelines and commitment to ensure that the journal adheres to strict ethical standards at all times.
- A willingness to proactively lead the journal’s Editorial Board, to include arranging and leading Editorial Board meetings.
- A proven track record as a key opinion leader and known figure within your academic discipline.
- Actively involved in growing and developing your academic networks through conference attendance and experience of networking through social media.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the open access publishing environment.
- A vision and enthusiasm for the continuous development of the journal.
The role will formally begin from 1st January 2024, although training will begin in November 2023 to allow for a transition period with the outgoing Editor-in-Chief.
A Role Profile for the Editor-in-Chief position is available on request. Applications should include your CV and a Vision Statement. Your Vision Statement should include:
- Why you wish to apply for the position;
- Where you believe the field is going, and the journal’s place within it;
- How you would work in partnership with the Editorial Board;
- How you would maintain and increase the quality of submissions;
For any questions or the role profile, please contact Sophie Fagg ([email protected]).
The journal is committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion within its editorial team and decision making processes. All applications will be treated as strictly confidential, and each will be judged on its merits without bias for seniority of institutional affiliation. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or protected veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics.