Editor-in-Chief needed for
Geophysical & Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics
About the role
Geophysical & Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics is currently recruiting for an Editor. This role is a great opportunity for an academic with a strong research background in fluid mechanics of the earth and planets, and who also has the commitment, drive and ability to help develop the journal. As part of this role, you will be responsible for the oversight and administration of a rigorous and proper peer review process that delivers an agreed amount of content of suitable scope and quality within an agreed publication timeframe.
Becoming the editor of a journal is a rewarding and fulfilling experience where you have the opportunity to build your own networks, develop and promote the research in your field, and be recognized as a leading figure within the academic community.
About the journal
Geophysical and Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics publishes Original Research papers, Rapid Communications, Special Issues and Review articles. The research areas covered encompass the fluid mechanics of the earth and planets, including oceans, atmospheres and interiors, and the fluid mechanics of the sun, stars and other astrophysical objects.
The Journal considers theoretical, numerical and experimental studies of rotating, magnetohydrodynamic, stratified and convecting fluids of general interest to geophysicists and astrophysicists. Interpretations of observational results are also published.
A Special Issue contains articles focussed on a specific theme or topic. Special Issues are assembled by guest editors, who introduce the content and solicit contributions. Special Issue articles are subject to the same peer reviewing process as regular articles in the Journal. If you would like to propose a Special Issue or offer a Review article, either by yourself or as part of a group, please send a brief proposal to the Editor, Andrew Soward, E-mail: [email protected], and to the Managing Editor, Anant Misra, E-mail: [email protected].
All published research articles in this journal have undergone rigorous peer review, based on initial editor screening and anonymized refereeing by independent and expert referees.
All peer review is single anonymized.
Read the Instructions for Authors for information on how to submit your article.
Key Skills and Attributes
- Experience in academic publishing and familiarity with all stages of the process.
- The capacity to devote time each week to the role, and to attend Editorial Board meetings and training sessions as needed.
- The ability to ensure all submitted manuscripts are considered in a prompt, consistent and professional manner.
- The ability to confidently use an online peer review management system and ensure members of the editorial team do the same.
- Experience with working effectively with independent peer reviewers.
- The ability to read, summarize, and make decisions based on independent reviewer reports.
- A commitment to communicating promptly, consistently, and professionally with authors during the peer review process.
- A commitment to engaging promptly and efficiently with Taylor & Francis staff and suppliers to implement necessary processes and improvements.
- A strong commitment to ethical rigour as well as knowledge of the COPE guidelines and commitment to ensure that the journal adheres to strict ethical standards at all times.
- A willingness to proactively lead the journal’s Editorial Board, to include arranging and leading Editorial Board meetings.
- A proven track record as a key opinion leader and known figure within your academic discipline.
- Actively involved in growing and developing your academic networks through conference attendance and experience of networking through social media.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the open access publishing environment.
- A vision and enthusiasm for the continuous development of the journal
The role will formally begin from 15 March 2024
A Role Profile for the Editor is available on request. Applications should include your CV, a Cover Letter and a Vision Statement. Your Vision Statement should be no longer than 1 page and include:
- Where you believe the field is going, and the journal’s place within it
- How you would work in partnership with the Editorial Board
- How you would maintain and increase the quality of submissions
- How you would work with authors.
For any questions or the role profile, please contact [email protected]
The journal is committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion within its editorial team and decision making processes. All applications will be treated as strictly confidential, and each will be judged on its merits without bias for seniority of institutional affiliation. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or protected veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics.