Recruiting for Deputy Editor-in-Chief
Journal of Experimental & Theoretical Artificial Intelligence
About the role
The Journal of Experimental & Theoretical Artificial Intelligence is recruiting a Deputy Editor-in-Chief to join the Editorial Team of the journal. This role is a great opportunity for an academic with a strong research background in the field of artificial intelligence and experience of theoretical and applied research. The new Deputy Editor-in-Chief must have the commitment, drive and ability to develop and grow the journal.
As part of this role, you will be responsible for the oversight and administration of a rigorous and proper peer review process that delivers an agreed amount of content of suitable scope and quality within an agreed publication timeframe through use of the Journal’s online submission and peer review system, in accordance with the Taylor & Francis Editor Code of Conduct, with particular reference to Editorial ethics.
The Deputy Editor-in-Chief is responsible for the following activities:
- Regular and confident use of an online peer review management system.
- Taking initial decisions on whether each submitted article is within the Journal’s scope and is appropriate for further independent peer review.
- Encouraging independent experts to register for and use the online peer review management system in a reviewer capacity.
- Ensuring all submitted manuscripts are considered in a prompt, consistent and professional manner.
- Managing reviewers when needed to ensure timely publication decisions.
- Monitoring performance to ensure fair and prompt processing of submitted papers.
- Reviewing suitability of referees.
- Ensuring that authors, members of the Editorial Board, and referees/reviewers adhere to the Journal’s Guidelines on Publishing Ethics to assure the integrity and reputation of the Journal is maintained.
- Reading and summarizing reviewer feedback, and making decisions about acceptance, rejection, or revision on referees’ reports, to ensure high quality peer review feedback is provided to authors as well as communicating this in writing to authors in a professional manner and within a reasonable period.
- Requesting further reports for subsequently revised papers, communicating as necessary authors’ responses and arguments.
- Communicating promptly, consistently and professionally with authors during the peer review and publication process.
- Liaising promptly with Taylor & Francis staff and suppliers to implement necessary processes and improvements to the online peer review management system.
Alongside management of the peer review process, other responsibilities of the Deputy Editor-in-Chief include:
- Acting proactively on any expressions of concern or allegations of research misconduct received about content published in the Journal, assisting and working with Taylor & Francis to resolve these according to the Journal’s Guidelines on Publishing Ethics.
- Being actively involved in subject communities, identifying emerging research trends, and awareness and understanding of major developments in the publishing industry, such as open research and Open Access.
- Taking part in a regular review of the Journal’s performance with Taylor & Francis to set strategic development and development goals, including the Journal’s Aims & Scope.
- Being an ambassador to the journal, e.g by reaching out to Early Career Researchers to encourage and support authors in developing their work and submitting it to the Journal.
Becoming the editor of a journal is a rewarding and fulfilling experience where you have the opportunity to expand your network, shape the direction of the research in your field, promoting the most interesting findings, and be recognized as a leading figure within the academic community.
About the journal
Journal of Experimental & Theoretical Artificial Intelligence (JETAI) is a world leading journal dedicated to publishing high quality, rigorously reviewed, original papers in artificial intelligence (AI) research.
The journal features work in all subfields of AI research and accepts both theoretical and applied research. Topics covered include, but are not limited to, the following:
- cognitive science
- knowledge representation
- memory and neural system modelling
The journal has an Impact Factor of 2.2 (Q3) and a CiteScore of 5.9 (Q1).
Key Skills and Attributes
Ready to apply? Here are the essential skills and attributes we are looking for in a successful applicant:
- Experience in academic publishing and familiarity with all stages of the process.
- The capacity to devote time each week to the role, and to attend Editorial Board meetings and training sessions throughout each year as needed.
- The ability to ensure all submitted manuscripts are considered in a prompt, consistent and professional manner.
- The ability to confidently use an online peer review management system.
- Experience with working effectively with independent peer reviewers.
- The ability to read, summarize, and make decisions based on independent reviewer reports.
- A commitment to communicating promptly, consistently, and professionally with authors during the peer review process.
- A commitment to engaging promptly and efficiently with Taylor & Francis staff and suppliers to implement necessary processes and improvements.
- A strong commitment to ethical rigour as well as knowledge of the COPE guidelines and commitment to ensure that the journal adheres to strict ethical standards at all times.
- A proven track record as a key opinion leader and known figure within your academic discipline.
- Actively involved in growing and developing your academic networks through conference attendance and experience of networking through social media.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the open access publishing environment.
- A vision and enthusiasm for the continuous development of the journal.
If you would like to apply for the position, please submit your CV, covering letter and vision statement for the journal via the link below by 31 January 2024.
Your Vision Statement should be no longer than 2 pages and include:
- Where you believe the field is going, and the Journal’s place within it,
- How you would help maintain and increase the quality of submissions,
- Any changes you would wish to make to the Aims and Scope.
For further information on the role, please contact Ishtiaque Shams ([email protected])
The journal is committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion within its editorial team and decision making processes. All applications will be treated as strictly confidential, and each will be judged on its merits without bias for seniority of institutional affiliation. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or protected veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics.