Recruiting for Section Editor and Associate Editor - African Studies Section
Cogent Social Sciences
About the role
Cogent Social Sciences is currently recruiting for a Section Editor and an Associate Editor for the new Area Studies section. This role is a great opportunity for an academic with a strong research background in African Studies and who also has the commitment, drive and ability to help develop the journal. As the role of Section Editor, you will lead a team of Associate Editors and for both roles you will be responsible for the oversight and administration of a rigorous and proper peer review process that delivers an agreed amount of content of suitable scope and quality within an agreed publication timeframe.
Becoming the editor of a journal is a rewarding and fulfilling experience where you have the opportunity to build your own networks, develop and promote the research in your field, and be recognized as a leading figure within the academic community.
We also welcome applications from those interested in being Reviewers.
If you are interested in the roles with the Asian Studies section, please see here.
About the journal
Cogent Social Sciences is a multidisciplinary open access journal with a mission to make research and knowledge accessible to everyone without discrimination. Our vision is based on inclusivity, dissemination and the power of collective wisdom. The journal’s broad scope facilitates the discovery of connections between disciplines and communities.
We strive to help researchers communicate with a global audience and interact with experts from across the social science community and beyond. Each submission is evaluated on its own scholarly merit and research integrity, and our expert academic editors take an objective and constructive approach to peer review. Article-level metrics let the research speak for itself.
Cogent Social Sciences considers original research and review articles in the following sections and broad topical areas:
Law, Criminology & Criminal Justice
Leisure & Tourism
Media & Communication Studies
Politics & International Relations
Key Skills and Attributes
Ready to apply? Here are the skills and attributes we are looking for in a successful applicant:
- Experience in academic publishing and familiarity with all stages of the process.
- The capacity to devote time each week to the role.
- The ability to ensure all submitted manuscripts are considered in a prompt, consistent and professional manner.
- The ability to confidently use an online peer review management system.
- Experience with working effectively with independent peer reviewers.
- The ability to read, summarize, and make decisions based on independent reviewer reports.
- A commitment to communicating promptly, consistently, and professionally with authors during the peer review process.
- A strong commitment to ethical rigour as well as knowledge of the COPE guidelines and commitment to ensure that the journal adheres to strict ethical standards at all times.
- Actively involved in growing and developing your academic networks through conference attendance and experience of networking through social media.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the open access publishing environment.
A Role Profile for the Section Editor and Associate Editor is available on request.
Please apply via the link below.
Applications should include your CV and cover letter. This is a new section in the journal and the cover letter should include how you plan to grow the section.
The journal is committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion within its editorial team and decision making processes. All applications will be treated as strictly confidential, and each will be judged on its merits without bias for seniority of institutional affiliation. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or protected veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics.