Recruiting for Co-Editor
Practice: Social Work in Action
16 January 2023
About the role
Practice: Social Work in Action is looking for a Co-Editor.
Practice: Social Work in Action is an international social work journal owned by the British Association of Social Workers.
It carries material with a strong focus on social work practice, and has a core remit of encouraging newer writers to academic publishing. As one of our co-editors will come to the end of their term in June 2023, we are now looking for a new co-editor for the journal from June 2023, to work alongside the continuing co-editor, Robin Sen.
The co-editor will help encourage submissions to the journal, manage the peer review process for submissions, share the chairing of meetings of the Editorial Board, take a joint lead in managing overall issues connected to the journal and help to develop the journal and its profile.
About the journal
Practice provides a forum for the publication of knowledge, reflections and research about practice and the experiences of people using services. The journal has a strong focus on social work practice and seeks to promote a proactive, reflective and critical perspective.
Academics and researchers are encouraged to translate practice based research into a format relevant to practising social workers, whatever their role and task.
In promoting the international dimension of social work, Practice fosters an exchange of learning, knowledge and values.
The journal includes contributions from the field, and thus, practitioners and people using services are encouraged to submit material.
The editorial board is committed to offering constructive support to those in the early phases of their publishing careers.
Key Skills and Attributes
Those considering applying should:
- Have substantial experience of peer reviewing journal submissions.
- Have published in academic publications themselves.
- Have a strong commitment to promoting knowledge about social work practice, and to encouraging newer writers to academic journals from a variety of backgrounds.
- Be committed to undertaking journal editorial duties to a high standard. These include management of the peer review process, responding to editorial journal queries and responsibility for selecting articles and writing the editorial for alternate issues of the journal.
- Have well developed networks in social work practice and/or social work education and research.
- Be a British Association of Social Work member at the time of application, and remain one for the duration of their editorship.
We are keen to encourage applicants from a diverse range of backgrounds.
For an informal conversation about the role, please contact Robin Sen for a discussion: [email protected]
To apply please send a CV and covering letter, stating why you wish to be considered for the role, to Robin Sen by the end of day Monday January 16, 2023.
After reviewing applications, one of the current co-editors will speak to each applicant before the co-editors agree a recommendation to the Practice Editorial Board. The new co-editor will be approved by the Board in advance of the June 2023 Editorial Board meeting.
The journal is committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion within its editorial team and decision making processes. All applications will be treated as strictly confidential, and each will be judged on its merits without bias for seniority of institutional affiliation. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or protected veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics.