Co-Editor-in-Chief needed for
Civil Engineering and Environmental Systems
About the role
Civil Engineering and Environmental Systems is currently recruiting for a Co-Editor-in-Chief. This role is a great opportunity for an academic with a strong research background in systems engineering, environmental engineering decision-making, and engineering management; and who also has the commitment, drive, network, and ability to help develop the journal. As part of this role, you will be responsible for the oversight and administration of a rigorous and proper peer review process that delivers an agreed amount of content of suitable scope and quality within an agreed publication timeframe.
The Co-Editor-in-Chief will be expected to create a commissioning strategy supported by knowledge of emerging research trends, promote the journal through their own network and beyond, and suggest further development initiatives to support the viability of the journal.
Becoming the editor of a journal is a rewarding and fulfilling experience where you have the opportunity to build your own networks, develop and promote the research in your field, and be recognized as a leading figure within the academic community.
At the heart of the Journal Editor’s role is oversight and administration of a rigorous and proper peer review process. Within that peer review process, the Editor is responsible for the following activities:
- Regular and confident use of an online peer review management system.
- Ensuring all submitted manuscripts are considered in a prompt, consistent and professional manner.
- Securing at least two independent peer reviews from appropriate experts for all manuscripts.
- Managing Associate Editors and/or reviewers when needed to ensure timely publication decisions.
- Ensuring that authors, members of the Editorial Board, and referees/reviewers adhere to the Journal’s Guidelines on Publishing Ethics to assure the integrity and reputation of the Journal is maintained.
- Reading, summarizing, and basing judgements about acceptance, rejection, or revision on referees’ reports, and communicating this in writing to authors in a professional manner and within a reasonable period.
- Liaising with Associate Editors (where applicable) to ensure workload is divided fairly, that their role and responsibility is understood and that expectations around turnaround and quality have been defined.
Alongside the management of the peer review process, other responsibilities of the Co-Editor-in-Chief include:
- Proactively and effectively managing the Journal’s Editorial Board, including refreshing its membership periodically to ensure appropriate expertise and diversity, providing members with updates, and arranging and leading Editorial Board meetings.
- Acting proactively on any expressions of concern or allegations of research misconduct received about content published in the Journal, assisting and working with Taylor & Francis to resolve these according to the Journal’s Guidelines on Publishing Ethics.
- Being actively involved in subject communities, identifying emerging research trends, and awareness and understanding of major developments in the publishing industry, such as open research and Open Access.
- Reaching out to Researchers to encourage and support authors in submitting to the Journal.
- Commissioning content for the Journal.
- Planning and organising Article Collections and Special Issues for the Journal.
About the journal
Civil Engineering and Environmental Systems is devoted to the advancement of systems thinking and systems techniques throughout systems engineering, environmental engineering decision-making, and engineering management. We do this by publishing the practical applications and developments of ""hard"" and ""soft"" systems techniques and thinking.
Submissions that allow for better analysis of civil engineering and environmental systems might look at:
- Civil Engineering optimization
- Risk assessment in engineering
- Civil engineering decision analysis
- System identification in engineering
- Civil engineering numerical simulation
- Uncertainty modelling in engineering
- Qualitative modelling of complex engineering systems
Submissions on systems thinking that advance our understanding of complex civil engineering and environmental systems might examine:
- Safety in engineering systems
- Decision making with engineering systems
- Risk management in engineering systems
- Civil engineering environmental policy
- Sustainable development in civil engineering
Key Skills and Attributes
- Experience in academic publishing and familiarity with all stages of the process.
- The capacity to devote time each week to the role, and to attend Editorial Board meetings and training sessions as needed.
- The ability to ensure all submitted manuscripts are considered in a prompt, consistent and professional manner.
- The ability to confidently use an online peer review management system and ensure members of the editorial team do the same.
- The ability to read, summarize, and make decisions based on independent reviewer reports.
- A commitment to communicating promptly, consistently, and professionally with authors during the peer review process, as well as with Taylor & Francis staff and suppliers to implement necessary processes and improvements.
- A strong commitment to ethical rigour as well as knowledge of the COPE guidelines and commitment to ensure that the journal adheres to strict ethical standards at all times.
- A proven track record as a key opinion leader and known figure within your academic discipline.
- Actively involved in growing and developing your academic networks through conference attendance and experience of networking through social media.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the open access publishing environment.
- A vision and enthusiasm for the continuous development of the journal.
This role will formally begin from 1 June 2024.
A Role Profile for the Co-Editor-in-Chief is available on request. Applications should include your CV, a Cover Letter, and a Vision Statement. Your Cover Letter should include a brief explanation on why you are interested in this position and any relevant Journal Editorial experience you may have. Your Vision Statement should be no longer than 1 page and include:
- Three steps you would take to promote and network the journal
- How you would commission submissions
- How you would work in partnership with the Editorial Board
For any questions or the role profile, please contact Maddie Felps ([email protected]).
The journal is committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion within its editorial team and decision making processes. All applications will be treated as strictly confidential, and each will be judged on its merits without bias for seniority of institutional affiliation. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or protected veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics.