Recruiting for Associate Editors and Editorial Board Members
Big Earth Data
About the role
Big Earth Data is looking for new Associate Editors and Editorial Board Members to maintain the high editorial standards of the journal and disseminate the journal to a wider audience. We encourage Editorial Board members to be as active as possible. The role is essentially as follows:
Champion the Journal
• Be an ambassador for the Journal; build, nurture, and help the Editors-in-Chief grow a community around it.
• Increase awareness of the articles published in the Journal in all relevant communities and amongst colleagues.
• Make the Journal essential reading, for example by citing key articles on your team’s reading lists.
• Participate at relevant conferences.
• Submit your own work for consideration.
• Encourage the submission of articles to the Journal from expert researchers in the field including colleagues.
• Suggest potential contributors, generate ideas for Special Issues and reviews, and commission papers as required.
Assist with the peer-review process
• Provide support for the peer review process and act as a reviewer whenever required.
• Adhere to the Journal’s Guidelines on Publishing Ethics to assure the integrity and reputation of the Journal is maintained at all times.
Promote online usage
• Sign up for table of contents alerts on the Journal website.
• Promote the Journal via WeChat, Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, and conferences.
Provide feedback and strategic suggestion
• Attend meetings with the Journal and the Editorial Board as required.
• Provide the Journal with useful feedback from friends and colleagues.
Associate Editors will work closely with the Journal Editorial Office and advise on journal strategy, including commissioning and ways to better serve the community.
About the journal
Big Earth Data is an interdisciplinary open access academic journal jointly published by the International Society for Digital Earth, International Research Center of Big Data for Sustainable Development Goals, Aerospace Information Research Institute-Chinese Academy of Sciences, and Taylor & Francis Group. Prof. Huadong Guo, Prof. Markku Kulmala and Dr. Stefano Nativi are Editors-in-Chief of the journal.
Big Earth Data is the world's first big data journal in the Earth sciences, and it aims to provide an efficient and high-quality platform for promoting 'big data' sharing, processing and analyses, thereby revolutionizing the cognition of the Earth's systems. The journal publishes research articles, review articles, data articles and technical notes on 'big data' studies across the entire spectrum of the Earth sciences. The journal is indexed in DOAJ, Scopus (2021CiteScore=6.8), Ei Compendex, ESCI (Q2 in 2022 JCR).
Key Skills and Attributes
Ready to apply? Here are the skills and attributes we are looking for in a successful applicant:
- Experience in academic publishing and familiarity with all stages of the process.
- The capacity to devote time each week to the role, and to attend Editorial Board meetings and training sessions as needed.
- The ability to ensure all submitted manuscripts are considered in a prompt, consistent and professional manner.
- The ability to confidently use an online peer review management system.
- Experience with working effectively with independent peer reviewers.
- The ability to read, summarize, and make decisions based on independent reviewer reports.
- A commitment to communicating promptly, consistently, and professionally with authors during the peer review process.
- A commitment to engaging promptly and efficiently with Taylor & Francis staff and suppliers to implement necessary processes and improvements.
- A strong commitment to ethical rigour as well as knowledge of the COPE guidelines and commitment to ensure that the journal adheres to strict ethical standards at all times.
- A proven track record as a key opinion leader and known figure within your academic discipline.
- Actively involved in growing and developing your academic networks through conference attendance and experience of networking through social media.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the open access publishing environment.
- A vision and enthusiasm for the continuous development of the journal.
Editorial Board Member positions will be filled as soon as possible. Associate Editor start dates should ideally begin in 2023 or early 2024.
Applications should include a current CV and a cover letter, which expresses your suitability for the role of an Associate Editor or an Editorial Board Member of Big Earth Data. Please specify which role you are applying for in the applications.
Please address questions to Managing Editor, Dr. Linlin Guan at [email protected].
The journal is committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion within its editorial team and decision making processes. All applications will be treated as strictly confidential, and each will be judged on its merits without bias for seniority of institutional affiliation. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or protected veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics.