Recruiting for Associate Editors and Editorial Board Members
Australian Journal of Psychology
About the role
The Australian Journal of Psychology is currently recruiting Associate Editors. This role is a great opportunity for an academic with a strong research background in psychology, and who also has the commitment, drive and ability to help develop the journal. Professor Justin Kenardy, Editor-in-Chief, encourages applicants from both academic and professional backgrounds and with experience in academic publishing. Applicants from all backgrounds are welcome but we are particularly welcoming those with an applied expertise. As part of this role, you will be responsible for the oversight and administration of a rigorous and proper peer review process that delivers an agreed amount of content of suitable scope and quality within an agreed publication timeframe.
Becoming the editor of a journal is a rewarding and fulfilling experience where you have the opportunity to build your own networks, develop and promote the research in your field, and be recognized as a leading figure within the academic community.
This journal is currently recruiting for Editorial Board Members as well.
About the journal
The Australian Journal of Psychology is the flagship publication of the Australian Psychological Society aimed at researchers in the field of psychological science. It is an international peer-reviewed journal that publishes empirical research across the full range of pure and applied topics in psychological science, including:
- Perception and Awareness
- Developmental Psychology
- Motivation and Emotion
- Social and Personality Psychology
- Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Research Methodology
- Health Psychology
- Psychology Education
- Topics which are of interest to researchers from more than one specialist area
The Australian Journal of Psychology offers a variety of formats for paper submission, including full articles, brief articles, registered reports, and theory papers. Methodological rigour is essential for all published papers and research that is based on cutting-edge methodological techniques is particularly encouraged.
Key Skills and Attributes
Ready to apply? Here are the skills and attributes we are looking for in a successful applicant:
- Experience in academic publishing and familiarity with all stages of the process.
- The capacity to devote time each week to the role, and to attend Editorial Board meetings and training sessions as needed.
- The ability to ensure all submitted manuscripts are considered in a prompt, consistent and professional manner.
- The ability to confidently use an online peer review management system and ensure members of the editorial team do the same.
- Experience with working effectively with independent peer reviewers.
- The ability to read, summarize, and make decisions based on independent reviewer reports.
- A commitment to communicating promptly, consistently, and professionally with authors during the peer review process.
- A commitment to engaging promptly and efficiently with Taylor & Francis staff and suppliers to implement necessary processes and improvements.
- A strong commitment to ethical rigour as well as knowledge of the COPE guidelines and commitment to ensure that the journal adheres to strict ethical standards at all times.
- Actively involved in growing and developing your academic networks through conference attendance and experience of networking through social media.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the open access publishing environment.
- A vision and enthusiasm for the continuous development of the journal.
The role will formally begin from February 2024.
A Role Profile for the Associate Editor is available on request. Applications for the Associate Editor role should include your CV, a Cover Letter and a Vision Statement. Your Vision Statement should be no longer than 1 page and include:
- Where you believe the field is going, and the journal’s place within it
- How you would work in partnership with the Editorial Board
How you would maintain and increase the quality of submissions
How you would work with authors.
The journal is committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion within its editorial team and decision making processes. All applications will be treated as strictly confidential, and each will be judged on its merits without bias for seniority of institutional affiliation. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or protected veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics.