Recruiting for Associate Editor & Peer Reviewers
Ecology of Food and Nutrition
About the role
Ecology of Food and Nutrition is recruiting for an Associate Editor with a strong background in the biochemistry and/or biology of food and nutrition to join the Journal’s editorial team. This role is a great opportunity for a researcher who also has the commitment, drive and ability to help develop the Journal in this area and expand the breadth of articles considered for publication. As part of this role, you will work closely with the Editor-in-Chief and fellow Associate Editors to commission, evaluate and publish an agreed amount of content of suitable scope. You will be required to oversee the peer review process for articles in the Journal’s ScholarOne Manuscript submission and peer review system, solicit reviews within set timeframes, collate reviewer feedback and make recommendations to the Editor in Chief.
Becoming an Associate Editor is a rewarding and fulfilling experience where you have the opportunity to join a dynamic editorial team, collaborate with colleagues, build your own networks, and develop and promote research in your field. The role is supported by an annual editorial stipend.
We welcome applications for Peer Reviewers.
About the journal
Ecology of Food and Nutrition is an international journal of food and nutrition in the broadest sense. The journal publishes peer-reviewed articles on all aspects of food and nutrition -- ecological, biological, and cultural. Ecology of Food and Nutrition strives to become a forum for disseminating scholarly information on the holistic and cross-cultural dimensions of the study of food and nutrition. It emphasizes foods and food systems not only in terms of their utilization to satisfy human nutritional needs and health, but also to promote and contest social and cultural identity.
The content scope is thus wide -- articles may focus on the relationship between food and nutrition, food taboos and preferences, ecology and political economy of food, changes in food habits, food technology and marketing, food and identity, food security and sustainability, and the biology of human nutrition. Additionally, articles focusing on the application of theories and methods to address contemporary food and nutrition problems are encouraged. Questions of the relationship between food/nutrition and culture are as germane to the journal as analyses of the interactions among nutrition and environment, infection, and human health.
Key Skills and Attributes
Ready to apply? Here are the skills and attributes we are looking for in a successful applicant:
- Experience with working effectively as part of a team.
- A commitment to communicating promptly, consistently, and professionally with members of the editorial team, authors and peer reviewers.
- The capacity to devote time each week to the role, and to attend Editorial Board meetings and training sessions as needed.
- The ability to ensure all submitted manuscripts are considered in a prompt, consistent and professional manner.
- The ability to confidently use an online peer review management system and ensure other members of the editorial team do the same.
- The ability to read, summarize, and make decision recommendations to the Editor in Chief based on independent reviewer reports.
- A willingness to proactively engage with the subject community to commission content and grow the Journal’s community of authors and peer reviewers.
- A strong commitment to ethical rigour as well as knowledge of the COPE guidelines and commitment to ensure that the Journal adheres to strict ethical standards at all times.
- A commitment to engaging promptly and efficiently with Routledge, Taylor & Francis staff and suppliers to implement necessary processes and improvements.
- Actively involved in growing and developing your academic networks through conference attendance and experience of networking
- A vision and enthusiasm for the continuous development of the Journal.
The role will formally begin from January 2024.
Applications should include your CV and Cover Letter, that outlines:
- Your interest in the Associate Editor role
- How your experience and skills match the role profile
- How you would work in partnership with the Editor in Chief and wider editorial team
For any questions or the role profile, please contact Emma Lockwood, [email protected].
The journal is committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion within its editorial team and decision making processes. All applications will be treated as strictly confidential, and each will be judged on its merits without bias for seniority of institutional affiliation. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or protected veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics.