Join the Conversation!
Submission Deadline: March 30, 2020
Assessing Computational Thinking
Computational thinking is quickly becoming a part of the precollege educational landscape. A growing ecosystem of standards, curricula, and learning environments are including computational thinking as part of the expected learning outcomes. In response to this growing presence, there is a demand for effective and reliable approaches for assessing computational thinking. The goal of this special issue is to understand the current state of the field with respect to assessing computational thinking. We seek manuscripts exploring different approaches to assessing computational thinking in primary and secondary education (ages 5-18). Of particular interest are studies conducted in authentic settings with diverse populations of students and presentations of rigorous methodologies for developing and validating computational thinking assessments. Priority will be given to empirical papers reporting results of the administration of computational thinking assessments. However, papers that present frameworks for assessment or validation are also welcome.
Specifically, we invite articles on the following topics:
- The design, validation, and administration of computational thinking assessments for primary and secondary learners.
- Novel or innovative approaches for assessing computational thinking.
- How differing conceptualizations/definitions of computational thinking influence the design of assessments.
- Issues related to equity and accessibility as it pertains to assessing computational thinking.
- Ways of assessing computational thinking when integrated within other domain areas (e.g. science, math, literature, etc.).
- Investigations of learning progressions or developmental trajectories and how that interacts with assessing computational thinking.
- Descriptions of affordances and challenges that are unique to assessing computational thinking.
- How rigorous assessments are being used to inform the design and implementation of programs that support computational thinking.
Anticipated Timeline for the Issue:
● 30 March 2020 Submission Deadline for Special Issue Articles
● 1 June 2020 First round reviews returned
● 5 October 2020 Final accepted manuscript deadline for publication
See the journal’s website for preparation and Instructions for Authors.