Art in Translation
Call for Recommendations of Texts for Translation
Groundbreaking art historical research from around the world often finds only a limited audience due to language barriers, and even seminal works can take years to appear in translation. Many never do.Art in Translation (AIT) addresses this problem by translating important texts into English, increasingly the lingua franca of scholarship, and bringing them to a wider audience.
The editors of Art in Translation welcome recommendations of texts worthy of translation and publication.
The recommended text must already have been published in a language other than English, and meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Groundbreaking within the field and in the broader field of visual studies
- Accurately reflect current concerns and issues in the subject area
- Highly representative of the source culture and methodology
- Valuable introductory text, opening an initial path into areas of research and scholarship unfamiliar to the target readership
- A classic text within the source language
- A text that makes a significant contribution to the global practice and understanding of art history and visual culture
To submit your suggestion, please download the “Recommendation Form” and send your completed form to email@example.com.
If the proposed text is selected, the editors will acknowledge in print that the text was suggested by you and you will be invited to write a short introduction for publication with the translated text.