Call for Co-Editor(s)
International Journal for Academic Development
About the Role
CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Co-editor position for the International Journal for Academic Development
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a co-editor position for the International Journal for Academic Development (IJAD). We are looking for a co-editor based in North America, Africa, the Middle East, or South America to replace the position currently held by Dr. Peter Felten (USA), who is rotating out of this role after two terms.
The purpose of IJAD is to enable academic developers in higher education across the world to exchange ideas about practice and research, and to extend the theory of academic development, with the goal of improving the quality of higher education internationally.
IJAD is the premier international journal for academic development (also called educational development and faculty development). In 2020, IJAD had an Impact Factor of 2.929, placing it at #82/263 in the “Education & Education Research” category of SSCI. Furthermore, since 2016, Google has ranked IJAD among (or near) the 20 most influential higher education journals globally.
IJAD is sponsored by the International Consortium for Educational Development (ICED), and four issues are published annually through Routledge/Taylor & Francis (http://www.tandfonline.com/ijad). The manuscript submission and review processes are managed through the ScholarOne online system.
The co-editor appointment will be for 4 years (1 January 2022 until 31 December 2025), and the appointee will work collaboratively with the three ongoing co-editors—Dr Klara Bolander Laksov (Sweden), Dr Johan Geertsema (Singapore), and Dr Julie Timmermans (New Zealand) —and the seven associate editors.
The role of co-editor provides an opportunity to influence the academic development research agenda and to expand linkages between one’s own region and the international academic development community. The position is voluntary. It involves working to tight deadlines and participating in monthly online meetings. Typically, at least one co-editor attends the ICED Council meeting each year.
Applications from individuals who would like to join the team are welcome. The editorial team will make a decision based on the criteria outlined below.
Questions about the position should be directed to Julie Timmermans ([email protected]).
Submitting Your Application
Brief (1-2 page) written expressions of interest should be e-mailed to Dr. Allan Goody (Allan Goody ([email protected]), current President of ICED and Dr Kasturi Behari-Leak, President-elect of ICED ([email protected]), no later than 22 September 2021 and should:
a. Outline your reasons for wanting to undertake the role,
b. Address the selection criteria below,
c. Provide the names of two members of the international academic development community who are willing to be contacted as referees, and
d. Include your current Curriculum Vitae.
The following criteria are essential:
1. Active scholar in academic/educational/faculty development, with a record of publications in this area
2. Passionate about academic development in higher education and committed to encouraging high-quality academic research and publications in the field
3. Professionally active in a continent not otherwise represented by a current co-editor (i.e., NOT Europe, Oceania, or Asia)
4. Experienced in editing and publishing and aware of issues associated with editing an international journal
5. Excellent organisational and communication skills and demonstrable ability to work to tight deadlines
6. Demonstrated ability to work well with others (for example, joint publications, grants, member of a national network, etc.)
7. Willing to participate in regular editorial meetings through online video conferencing (often scheduled outside working hours in order to accommodate the schedules of editorial team members from different continents)
8. Committed to the goals of the journal’s parent organisation, the International Consortium for Educational Development (ICED): http://icedonline.net/
9. At the time of appointment, membership in one of the member networks of ICED.
In addition, the following criteria are desirable:
10. Familiarity with online manuscript management systems
11. Familiarity with APA referencing, copy-editing, or access to administrative support for copy-editing
12. Ability to start by 1 January 2022